Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S LR Tires: Am I cursed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I’m spending too much time and money replacing tires in the last three months.

In December of 2020 I got a 2021 Raven Model S Long Range with 21” rims and Continental Contisportcontact 5P tires. In Feb 2021 I got a flat tire, the left rear which was patched by mobile service. In March 2023, thanks to potholes in Los Angeles after the torrential downpours, I got another flat tire, the right front, which was replaced by Tesla, but it took a week, inconvenient. A week later, another pothole, another flat tire, this time the right rear. Replaced both rear tires (since the left rear had a slow leak that I’d top up every two weeks or so) at American Tire Depot. This week, another flat in the right front tire. Replaced at American Tire Depot, but the brand new tire has lost 10psi the same day.

After dropping $2k on tires I am getting frustrated. What‘s wrong, the tires (Continentals), the tires (35 profile sidewalls), or my rims (dented by potholes)? At this point all I want is a car, not a tricycle. Please, help me.

Last edited:
Switch to 19" or 20" wheels. There are some people who run 21" wheels without issue, but they may be in parts of the world with fewer potholes. NOVA and the surrounding states aren't full of smooth ribbons of asphalt either, but I've never had a problem with 20" wheels.

You’re not wrong, turns out the tire shop knew my wheel was cracked but forgot to tell me. I’m sure tires with more sidewall would have prevented that. Worthy to note that every tow truck driver also lamented the number of Teslas they're had to deal with. I’m also frustrated that Tesla doesn’t offer road hazard insurance for the tires they replace.

The $4500 21” wheel upgrade is now costing me an additional $3300, buyer beware.