Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wobble after tire replacement on Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I own a 2021 Model S Plaid, and usually, I keep my suspension set to medium with a comfort and soft advanced configuration for a smooth ride. Recently, I had a flat tire on the passenger side of the rear, and I got it replaced. However, after driving for about 30 minutes, I started noticing that the car was wobbling and the suspension felt firmer with a lot of bumps. I took it to the service center, and they told me that the rim needed to be replaced, so I got that done. But even after the replacement, the car still wobbles. I have another service appointment scheduled, but I'm wondering why this wobbliness issue persists. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

If it has not been done, try dynamic balancing the wheel and tire. I don't think this happens very much anymore, but I have had a tire out of round, or a defective tire. They can shave off the out of roundness of the tire (reducing tread use), but if it is new, it should be replaced. A good performance tire and wheel place should be able to find out exactly what the issue is.

Is the "wobbliness" a constant vibration that varies with speed or is it associated with hitting a bump? If it's the former, it's likely something that rotates - either the wheel/tire or rotor. Check that the rotor hub surface is clear where the wheel mounts as well as the back of the wheel. Could also be the output shaft from the motor or (unlikely) something with the motor itself.

If the symptoms show up when hitting a bump, it's more likely suspension. I've read about one case where bushings have started to fail after 25k miles. Could also be a bad shock. This will also cause a rough ride. I had a blown one on my 2019 in the rear. Hitting a pothole or a manhole cover would make a loud clunking sound and the car felt unsettled and uncomfortable. You can check for fluid leaks along the outside of the shock body.

Reactions: Sam1