Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh LR 19 Tire Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to replace my refresh 2021 Model S LR 19 tires. My car came with All-Season Continental Procontact RX and they only lasted around 20,000 miles. Should I replace with same tire, as there are not many EV choices? Want to make sure that I get the best range possible tire possible, comfort, handles well and hopefully lasts more than 20,000 miles. Thanks!

I used to work for another car maker. The tyres fitted at the factory had a shallower tread depth than from retail tyre fitters. The reason was that my employer could buy them cheaper.
I wonder if this applies to Tesla. If so, the same brand replacement may last more miles.

Reactions: DBV1
Time to replace my refresh 2021 Model S LR 19 tires. My car came with All-Season Continental Procontact RX and they only lasted around 20,000 miles. Should I replace with same tire, as there are not many EV choices? Want to make sure that I get the best range possible tire possible, comfort, handles well and hopefully lasts more than 20,000 miles. Thanks!
You might be best off with what you had. The Pirelli summer tires might have slight better range but won’t have the tread wear. And Mich AS I guarantee will not be as efficient but might last longer. Only choice might be new Pirelli AS Elect but I don’t think they come in the right size.

I’ve never found OEM tires to wear out sooner than retail.

In my experience, factory tires only last 20k miles or so.
At 25k I replaced all four tires on my 2017 Model S. I'm now using Michelin CrossClimate2 and staying very happy with them, putting 40k+ on each set

I used to swap wheels for winter snow tires, but the CrossClimate2 handle our New England snow just fine.

In my experience, factory tires only last 20k miles or so.
At 25k I replaced all four tires on my 2017 Model S. I'm now using Michelin CrossClimate2 and staying very happy with them, putting 40k+ on each set

I used to swap wheels for winter snow tires, but the CrossClimate2 handle our New England snow just fine.
But that’s a totally different tire. Apples and oranges.

When I’ve replaced with the same exact tire I got the same miles. At least with Jeep, VW, Audi, GM I did. And I often bought the OE tire.

You might be best off with what you had. The Pirelli summer tires might have slight better range but won’t have the tread wear. And Mich AS I guarantee will not be as efficient but might last longer. Only choice might be new Pirelli AS Elect but I don’t think they come in the right size.

I’ve never found OEM tires to wear out sooner than retail.
I think you are probably right. I should just stick with the Continental ProContact RX for best range. I don’t mind going with summer tires, as I used winter tires this year, which was a waste, since not much of a winter.

Would the Pirelli P Zero Elect Summer tire be a better choice if I use winter tires and offer better range and wear than the Continental’s? Although the price is quite a bit more, so not sure they are worth it.

Last edited:
My original tires are Pirelli PZero Elect. Have 31,000 miles and tread is still at 5/32. I consider this amazing and will use these as my next set.

Reactions: tmoz