Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Power Down - 12V Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopped into my latest model S (yoke steering wheel), with 768 miles on it last night. The left screen had big red letters "PULL OVER SAFELY - vehicle is preparing to shut down." This is with a 79% main battery charge. It had been sitting all day in 30-40 degree weather if that makes a difference. It wouldn't allow me to put it in drive. I rebooted it and it still came up with the warning. As I sat there pondering what to do, the main screen came up full of text (which I didn't get a picture of), but it was explaining how to get out of the car if the electric doors wouldn't open. It had a "Low Power Voltage" at the bottom of the screen and I watched it go from 31% to 28% and got out of the car and summoned Roadside. I had to go, so I took my wife's car and she waited for roadside service. I plugged the car in the level 2 charger in the garage before I left. When roadside got there all was fine. I'm thinking this has something to do with the 12v battery? Can I drive it? Is there a fix?

P.S. If you haven't had experience with roadside service, they are a towing service and THAT IS IT. You're not summoning a Tesla tech to diagnosis. The young man who arrived yesterday had only seen Teslas driving by them. Had no clue about the 2 battery system (nor that the new models have Li ion batteries). Nor did he know how to put it in tow mode. Just FYI.

Attachments

• IMG_1684.jpeg
    IMG_1684.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 268