Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Tesla Model 3 LR | Issues & Defects to Lookout for

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some defects I found out in my 2021 Model 3 Long Range here in Canada. This car was delivered on Dec.8.2020. At the time of picking up the car up I was so excited and the process was so fast I could not locate all of the defects at the dealership but luckily I took pictures of the car and made a video. It wasn't until few days later (till today) I have found following defects. I have uploaded a video as well.

1) Door alignment on both sides
2) Black plastic aero piece by A pillar windows
3) Door scratches on all 4 doors by handle
4) Front passenger side bumper lip by hood
5) Rear trunk/Tail lights alignment
6) Unable to stop charging from phone or screen (fixed it by creating a depart schedule and than deleting it)
7) Trunk paint issue
8) Interior rear liner issue by B pillar
9) Multiple MCU freeze ups
10) Clicking sound when steering wheel retracts
11) Clicking sound when using Auto Hold
12) Some sort of noise from front right side when driving above 70km/hr.

I did book service appointment and will update you guys to see how it goes. I heard a lot of good things about the service center I am going to so that is definitely a good thing.
Once all of the above are fixed my next test will be on the battery in cold weather.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki and Pkmmte
Some defects I found out in my 2021 Model 3 Long Range here in Canada.

1) Door alignment on both sides
2) Black plastic aero piece by A pillar windows
3) Door scratches on all 4 doors by handle
4) Front passenger side bumper lip by hood
5) Rear trunk/Tail lights alignment
6) Unable to stop charging from phone or screen (fixed it by creating a depart schedule and than deleting it)
7) Trunk paint issue
8) Interior rear liner issue by B pillar
9) Multiple MCU freeze ups
10) Clicking sound when steering wheel retracts
11) Clicking sound when using Auto Hold
12) Some sort of noise from front right side when driving above 70km/hr.
- There will always be paint issues until the paint process changes and/or non-CA restrictions. (All my Teslas have issues)
- I continue to have clicking when steering in my 2020 (new to ~21K miles) Struggling to get Tesla to repair it and COVID certainly has not helped with technician road testing.
- Clicking during hold feature is normal. noises include the brake pedal moving at stop/start.

Reactions: I<3URANUS
Is there a separate 'auto hold' feature, or are you guys talking about the 'ROLL CREEP HOLD' driving option? Thx. I'm being forced to pay in advance the car like 2 weeks before it arrives. With all the potential issues, I'm quite uneasy about it, but hopefully no major issues. At least I'll prepare my wife with potential problems that we might be better off letting go, than having a body shop involved. Are you guys demanding all those little things fixed? Just curious. Thx.

Reactions: badiban and ehacke
Disappointing that these problems, still exist as they did on my 2018.
You would have a better story if you'd ID'd most of this at delivery. I know delivery is an exciting time, and there's alot to look over.
Best to use a delivery checklist and have a picky friend accompany you at inspection.

• Love
Reactions: Noodles
I thought I was picky, but the OP runs me over. Ha ha. I honestly wouldn't even bother with minor panel mis-alignment. If I can fix that myself; nice. But no way I'd let a body shop mess with my brand new car just for that, especially if it involves the doors, and it's minimal. No car has ever been perfect. Not even my brother's Ferraris, and same for my Porsche, Lexii, etc. The taillight gap I'd definitely get fixed, but not much else.

If I can fix that myself; nice.

Yeah, it's disappointing that with all the Model 3 Youtubers out there, none have made a video on how to fix common misalignments on the cars. I suggested it to several of the more mechanically inclined Youtubers who did self mods to their cars, but to no avail :(. Sure there are a few videos on how to adjust the rubber bumper stops on the trunk and frunk but that's it.

There are definitely some adjustments needed...especially the door scratches and perhaps the tail light alignment. The frozen screen could probably be fixed with rebooting. Most of the other stuff is too minor to deal with on a massed produced car. It’s OP’s money and he has the right to report this stuff, but he runs the risk of having Tesla telling him to “pound sand” because so many of his issues are non issues.

Finally got my car back. Funny thing is I had to take it twice as they forgot to fix an issue.

To recap my car had factory defects like hood alignment, door gap, A-pillar trim piece defect, internal liner defect, trunk defect, steering col defect and taillights issues. Tesla rep acknowledged all of the above problems but said some are within the "spec".

I took my car for service 11:30am in the morning and was told it will be ready in 2 hours. After tech checked it, he said it will take 5 hours or so. They gave me a loaner car. I got a call around 4:30pm that my car is ready for pickup but I could not go until 7:00pm. Tesla rep said they will leave car outside and I can just unlock with my phone. I went around 7:00pm and due to internal miscommunication between Tesla reps they didn't park my car outside but parked in inside (at least they charged it).

I had to go the next day to pick up the car. I did that and not all defects were fixed, only following were.

1) Door gaps
2) Tail lights
3) Liner
4) A pillar plastic piece

They forgot to fix steering col so I had to make another appointment. It took them 2.5 hours to fix that but as of today it is broken again lol!!

Anyways otherwise car is doing fine.

(moderator note: moved this post into your existing thread, as it is on the same topic)

Hello friends, I am new here and about to order the Model 3. As far as these factory defects or superficial issues the car comes with. Are they really that big of a deal ? do you guys just brush it off or bring it to Tesla? Also.....does Tesla fix every issue?

Thank you guys for your help !

Hello friends, I am new here and about to order the Model 3. As far as these factory defects or superficial issues the car comes with. Are they really that big of a deal ? do you guys just brush it off or bring it to Tesla? Also.....does Tesla fix every issue?

Thank you guys for your help !

Welcome to TMC.

Since you found this thread and it wasnt on the first page, I suggest you search the forum for "paint issues" or "delivery issues" and read peoples experiences on that. You should find dozens of threads to read to your hearts content.

As for your specific questions.

Are they that big of a deal? = Depends on the car, you and your tolerance
Do people just brush it off? = see answer above
Does tesla fix every issue = no, they fix things they determine are not in spec. they fix many things, but depending on the car, or how picky a specific person is, they may or may not be happy.

As I mentioned, search for those terms above and you should find plenty of threads. People love to complain about tesla delivery and paint. Most just post pictures rather than make a youtube video, though.

Welcome to TMC.

Since you found this thread and it wasnt on the first page, I suggest you search the forum for "paint issues" or "delivery issues" and read peoples experiences on that. You should find dozens of threads to read to your hearts content.

As for your specific questions.

Are they that big of a deal? = Depends on the car, you and your tolerance
Do people just brush it off? = see answer above
Does tesla fix every issue = no, they fix things they determine are not in spec. they fix many things, but depending on the car, or how picky a specific person is, they may or may not be happy.

As I mentioned, search for those terms above and you should find plenty of threads. People love to complain about tesla delivery and paint. Most just post pictures rather than make a youtube video, though.

Will do! thank you very much !