Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.20.5 Homelink button change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha Ha! You just went where I was afraid to go. I really question Tesla's processes and design methodology. I work in Healthcare IT and can you imagine if these folks built a device that controlled an MRI machine with control buttons labeled like this? I think I'm beginning to understand why the full self driving is taking so long. I think Tesla owners are the QA for their design team.

Copy that!

I was a enterprise network admin and a mission critical software admin for a Fortune 500. I evaluated a lot of proposed enterprise software for endusers. This kind of programming would have never even made the selection list.

Reactions: Cyberdelia
Ha Ha! You just went where I was afraid to go. I really question Tesla's processes and design methodology. I work in Healthcare IT and can you imagine if these folks built a device that controlled an MRI machine with control buttons labeled like this? I think I'm beginning to understand why the full self driving is taking so long. I think Tesla owners are the QA for their design team.
I also work in Healthcare IT. The design decisions that Tesla has made with their UI absolutely baffle and infuriate me.

Just purchased a new Model Y. Had my homelink installed and the buttons were fine. Applied and update and they changed from Right and Left to Activate and Activate. Requires glasses to see them, plus you cannot change the order regardless of when you set them up. Right is on the left and Left is on the Right.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Looks like the last update put the old Homelink button labels back! No more Activate buttons!!!
24B07D7F-92E2-4AA7-B60F-B31E99404695.jpeg

Looks like they took our buttons away in 2022.44.25.1. :mad: I installed this update yesterday and noticed the buttons have been replaced by the new media player and the return of the "cards" for the odometers and tire pressure. So now we have a tiny HomeLink icon at the top to find and press. Be careful as it looks like it keeps a button up there for whatever button you pressed last but it is very close to the HomeLink button and you can accidentally press it when trying to get to other hidden buttons. Another step backwards for usability! I have my gate opener set to automatic and it does pop up when I come home but the buttons disappear before I can open my garage. I've not played with this extensively or looked to see if we have settings that may restore the original buttons (doubtful). I guess adding the new stuff for the MyQ connected garage openers have changed things yet again.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mark57 and navguy12
So now we have a tiny HomeLink icon at the top to find and press. Be careful as it looks like it keeps a button up there for whatever button you pressed last but it is very close to the HomeLink button and you can accidentally press it when trying to get to other hidden buttons. Another step backwards for usability!

Still waiting on mine but my wife got 2022.44.25.2 last night. Tiny is right AND the text on the buttons are light gray. They are so light that if the map display behind it has text on it, it's hard to read the label for the HomeLink button. Gray text on top of gray map text. This light gray font crap all the UI developers went to about 2010 is crap for real world readability. The font is several points smaller that the driver profile name font.

We have a gate and two garage doors. The gate won't be an issue since it's the only in range device, but the garage doors will be "if" it decides to change between uses. The text is very small forcing you to look closely as you're simultaneously turning into your drive to see which door the active button is going to open. My wife is pissed . . . . and I don't blame her. Unless you have 18 year old developer eyes in front of a 35 inch developer screen it's hard to read.

The original HomeLink drop down from a year or so ago was better than this.

Attachments

• HomeLink 20221217_075848 crop.jpg
    HomeLink 20221217_075848 crop.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 36
After driving the wife's car around yesterday, it's not as bad as I thought. When you approach a linked device, you get a sizeable drop down with a list of the devices you're close to and they are in a MUCH larger font. You can tap the item in the list to activate it making it much easier than trying to read the tiny one at the top. If you're sitting in the garage getting ready to leave, you still have the problem I described above, but at least you're not moving when that happens.