Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.4.5.17 Recommends 100% Daily Charge for LFP Battery Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my model 3 set at 90% from 2018 to the middle of 2021, so my opinion is no. I am not getting into it more than that though, as I am very (very very very very very very very very very very very very very very...... (tack on about 1000 more "verys" there) fatigued with the "range / battery" discussions since I see multiple threads daily created I have to move to our master thread on the subject in the model 3 subforum here:

Its 210+ pages, and a large part of it is stuff like "should I charge to 80% or 90%?" whats the best way to take care of my battery? My range is only....." so Yeah I am not the right person to ask, due to my fatigue at the question.
This isn't the Model 3 battery. This is the LFP.

So, just got 2022.4.5.17 and it states:

The range display in your vehicle is undergoing calibration. Until calibrated, displayed range may under or overestimate compared to distance driven. To improve accuracy, charge to 100% and wait until the charge port LED turns solid green, indicating a completed charging session. It is recommended for this configuration of vehicle to keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week.

So, I keep my daily at 90%... this seems like a significant change to how we've learned to charge daily, no?

2022.4.5.17 Release Notes

This is the LFP battery, it's not the same battery for which you often hear pages of discussions about.

If Tesla took the time to create the notification, then maybe Tesla thinks that you should follow the guidance.

I'd do what Tesla recommends.

Reactions: FearL0rd
If your Tesla isn't on fire...

OK, I'll cut that out. If you have a model 3 SR bought fairly recently you have an LFP battery. If a model Y, a few came out with LFP batteries I believe, but they are "unicorns." If you have charge options showing only 50% or 100% State of Charge possible then you have an LFP machine.

Rich
I have a M3P delivered last Saturday. What do you think?

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
I have a M3P delivered last Saturday. What do you think?
Not LFP.

From the M3 Owner's manual -

Some vehicles are equipped with a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) Battery. To determine if your vehicle is equipped with an LFP battery, navigate to Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information. If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP battery, "High Voltage Battery type: Lithium Iron Phosphate" is listed.

Reactions: FearL0rd