Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD Charging to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a used Model Y 2021 RWD (SR+ battery) from Tesla.
I'm reading the manual and it states to charge 100%. My understanding that this behavior is for LFP batteries only? However, I have a Panasonic 55KWh NCA battery pack (BT41) (see this source) ... Does the 100% apply to any RWD MY or just LFP packs?
  • For RWD vehicles: Tesla recommends you keep your charge limit to 100%, even for daily use, and you regularly charge your vehicle to 100%. If Model Y has been parked for longer than a week, drive your vehicle as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.

I'm reading the manual and it states to charge 100%. My understanding that this behavior is for LFP batteries only? However, I have a Panasonic 55KWh NCA battery pack (BT41) (see this source) ... Does the 100% apply to any RWD MY or just LFP packs?

Just LFP packs

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and GtiMart
There are no MY in North America with LFP battery at this time or ever so none should be charged to 100% regularly. Only M3 SR RWD has LFP battery for North America at this time. For the rest of the world, they do sell RWD MY with LFP battery.

I'm in the UK with a China built MY RWD - is my battery LFP? How do I find this out?
There is a very simple and straightforward way to tell this. Open the charging screen in the car, where you can set the charging limits. On that screen, what does it show for the designated areas for setting the limit? On the normal traditional non-LFP ones, it will have 50% to 90% marked as DAILY. And then the 90% to 100% area will be marked as TRIPS. And if you use that over 90% area a few days in a row, it will warn you that it's not good to do constantly.

But on the LFP cars, that battery limit slider just has 50% to 100% as one continuous area, because going to 100% isn't as much of a problem.

There is a very simple and straightforward way to tell this. Open the charging screen in the car, where you can set the charging limits. On that screen, what does it show for the designated areas for setting the limit? On the normal traditional non-LFP ones, it will have 50% to 90% marked as DAILY. And then the 90% to 100% area will be marked as TRIPS. And if you use that over 90% area a few days in a row, it will warn you that it's not good to do constantly.

But on the LFP cars, that battery limit slider just has 50% to 100% as one continuous area, because going to 100% isn't as much of a problem.

Attachments

• 20230404_123232.jpg
    20230404_123232.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 779
SR MY in 2021 (only offered for about 2 months) had the same pack as the SR+ M3 which is 2170L. When Tesla switched M3 SR+ to LFP they changed the name to M3 RWD.

Also, please read the manual you linked to carefully. It specifically mentions "for vehicles with LFP batteries" which is not to say your vehicle has an LFP battery. But IF you have LFP, you should charge to 100%. It then goes on to show how to determine if you have LFP. If you follow this and determine you don't have LFP, then do not follow the charge to 100% guidance.
1680665139388.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 2014 RWD Model S, and have always followed the conventional orthodoxy of avoiding charging to 100% unless necessary for the trip. But I was reviewing my online owner's manual recently, and was startled to see the recommendation for daily charging to 100%. As you can see in the attached screenshot from the manual, there is no mention of it applying to LFP batteries only.
IMG_1592.PNG

Having read the posts in this thread, I intend to ignore the manual and continue my daily routine of charging to 70%. But it is really a poor reflection on Tesla if a customer has to resort to the TMC forums in order to correct the info provided in the owner's manual.

I have a 2014 RWD Model S, and have always followed the conventional orthodoxy of avoiding charging to 100% unless necessary for the trip. But I was reviewing my online owner's manual recently, and was startled to see the recommendation for daily charging to 100%. As you can see in the attached screenshot from the manual, there is no mention of it applying to LFP batteries only.View attachment 935342

Having read the posts in this thread, I intend to ignore the manual and continue my daily routine of charging to 70%. But it is really a poor reflection on Tesla if a customer has to resort to the TMC forums in order to correct the info provided in the owner's manual.

That has come up in model S subforum too, but we are almost positive that its a mistake copy / paste from the model 3 manual. I wouldnt change anything you are doing on any vehicle other than a model 3 RWD LFP model. if you have a "daily / Trip" setting, you are not supposed to charge to 100% on a frequent basis.

I have a 2014 RWD Model S, and have always followed the conventional orthodoxy of avoiding charging to 100% unless necessary for the trip. But I was reviewing my online owner's manual recently, and was startled to see the recommendation for daily charging to 100%. As you can see in the attached screenshot from the manual, there is no mention of it applying to LFP batteries only.View attachment 935342

This is likely based on current cars since all RWD cars currently for sale are LFP. And was a copy paste error as suggested by others.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hey all,

Picked up my Model Y RWD last week, awesome car.
But i have a question about charging to 100% SoC.
I have installed a wall connector that's charging at 230 volts 16amps, that means 3,7 kwh.
After checking my Tesla app and experimenting with the max charge level i saw that the charging time was much higher when charging to 100% than let's say 96%.
After checking various websites i learned that this is to protect the battery from overcharging. The only question i have is, what about the power consumption ?
If the last 2% of charging (1,2KW) is done in let's say 1h30mins that would mean my wall connector which is running at 16amps is using 5,5 kwh to charge 1,2KW battery capacity. Or does the power usage drop when entering the last percentages of charging ?
I hope you guys can inform me on this one.
Kind regards,
Jonas

Hey all,

Picked up my Model Y RWD last week, awesome car.
But i have a question about charging to 100% SoC.
I have installed a wall connector that's charging at 230 volts 16amps, that means 3,7 kwh.
After checking my Tesla app and experimenting with the max charge level i saw that the charging time was much higher when charging to 100% than let's say 96%.
After checking various websites i learned that this is to protect the battery from overcharging. The only question i have is, what about the power consumption ?
If the last 2% of charging (1,2KW) is done in let's say 1h30mins that would mean my wall connector which is running at 16amps is using 5,5 kwh to charge 1,2KW battery capacity. Or does the power usage drop when entering the last percentages of charging ?
I hope you guys can inform me on this one.
Kind regards,
Jonas
The charging rate will taper as you approach 100% state of charge. You can observe this using the Tesla app or on the charging screen. You might not observe as much tapering when starting at 3.7kW as you would when the nominal charging rate is 11.5kW. The Tesla Model Y will also continue to draw power while in standby mode (~230W), while charging. The Tesla Model Y will perform cell balancing as required once charging has been completed.

@AAKEE does a LFP battery have less calendar ageing than a NCA/NCM battery?

Most probably no, or at least not s big difference.

From the research reports currently available it looks quite similar.
The absolute latest technology has not been tested and published yet.
The calendar aging test itselt takes at least one year. Add time to get the hand on theses cells and to produce and get a research report accepted.

IMG_1548.jpeg

The average loss of range shown at teslalogger implies that these charts above is about what to expect on Tesla model 3 / Y with LFP’s.

IMG_4223.jpeg