Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's your trade in offer?
He probably won’t answer that, given he knows others will use his trade-in offer as leverage to base what they will offer him on here, or he’s to embarrassed to admit how low the offer is, being he spent/financed a lot more than its current net worth.

In my geographic area, with the same RWD package/FSD as the OP’s is, trade in is at ~$34K-ish at best. The problem the OP is facing, RWD’s are not desirable, and take a substantial hit in value. Consumers want the LR-DM here.

He probably won’t answer that, given he knows others will use his trade-in offer as leverage to base what they will offer him on here, or he’s to embarrassed to admit how low the offer is, being he spent/financed a lot more than its current net worth.

In my geographic area, with the same RWD package/FSD as the OP’s is, trade in is at ~$34K-ish at best. The problem the OP is facing, RWD’s are not desirable, and take a substantial hit in value. Consumers want the LR-DM here.
You think so? With LFP, the range difference is about 40 miles (LR minus 80% charge max)?

The $7500 federal tax credit tanks the values of all of them immediately. Why buy a used one when you can get a new one for cheaper after tax credit? My brother got a new RWD for under $30k after factoring tax credits and state rebates.

Same is true for LR and P. Value drops by like $8-10k the second they leave the lot.

Reactions: El joe and 06z_
The $7500 federal tax credit tanks the values of all of them immediately. Why buy a used one when you can get a new one for cheaper after tax credit? My brother got a new RWD for under $30k after factoring tax credits and state rebates.

Same is true for LR and P. Value drops by like $8-10k the second they leave the lot.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the $7,500 tax credit doesn’t apply to a new Tesla as of right now, isn’t that right? (Or didn’t that expire at the end of July?)

The Long Range is always more desirable, but the price difference is significant enough for a lot of consumers to go with the RWD, I'm sure. Anyway, the OP is in SoCal so I'm sure there will be a lot of demand for his car. Given the abundance of Tesla cars over here though, his trade-in offer is likely no better than what you recorded for your area.

Reactions: bnsfengineer

haha! Not embarrassed, but it does suck! Just make me a reasonable offer. That's how it works.

haha! Not embarrassed, but it does suck! Just make me a reasonable offer. That's how it works.
And you are right on in your assessment of the current market conditions for Model 3 RWD, wish I had never bought it, got it for my wife and she hates it, so now trading up to a Model S and if she doesn't like that than too bad, I will drive the crap out of it!

Reactions: bnsfengineer
And you are right on in your assessment of the current market conditions for Model 3 RWD, wish I had never bought it, got it for my wife and she hates it, so now trading up to a Model S and if she doesn't like that than too bad, I will drive the crap out of it!
Crazy thought here, how about you let her pick what car she wants instead of buying something she might hate. 🧐

• Disagree
Reactions: Great White

It’s funny. I heard someone else say that they disliked the RWD variant as well, before migrating to the LR—M3. It’s just not popular, and they can be acquired for mid-20s with low mileage in my area. I’m wondering if consumers just don’t want to spend the extra money, and settle for the RWD, but then later have ‘buyers remorse’. (Which is very common in both the tech and auto industry.) I think that’s part of it.

It’s funny. I heard someone else say that they disliked the RWD variant as well, before migrating to the LR—M3. It’s just not popular, and they can be acquired for mid-20s with low mileage in my area. I’m wondering if consumers just don’t want to spend the extra money, and settle for the RWD, but then later have ‘buyers remorse’. (Which is very common in both the tech and auto industry.) I think that’s part of it.

Tbh I love my rwd 2019 3. I’m only looking to trade up for fsd and a little more range / warranty

It’s a great value, and the RWD is a great daily commuter. It’s more car than most people need. But also doesn’t help that Tesla strips it down (“Partial Premium” interior with downgraded sound system, no fog lights, etc) with no way to upgrade other than stepping up to the LR.

With that said, the RWD is the slowest vehicle Tesla offers and the LR is in a completely different league in acceleration. So anyone that can afford to jump to LR will do so. Or might pick a used LR for the similar price of a new RWD.