Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 RWD will not charge PS5 Controller on Type-C ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a strange on for ya. So for a Bluetooth game controller, Tesla recommends a Sony PlayStation 5 controller. Great. Fine. Gots me one of them says I.

And, indeed it works great. So great that I even threw in a Type-C cable for when I have to recharge the controller (being the clever plan-ahead kind of guy I am).

So when the controller finally died (in the middle of Skyforce Reloaded thank you very much), I reached for my Type-C on both ends cable and plugged it in to one of the Type-C ports on my Model 3 RWD…and..no charge.

So I did all the normal incantations. I swapped cables. Tried different Type-C ports. Nothing. Finally I tried a Type A to C cable where the USB drive mounts. That works. Tried a cigarette lighter adapter. That works.

Just the dang, elegant, otherwise of little use Type-C sockets on the car. Those. They don’t work – except for my iPhone. For that they work fine.

Any thoughts out there?

I think this is a PS5 controller thing, not a car thing (although I dont know this for a fact). My reason for thinking so, is that I experienced something VERY similar to this, specifically with my PS5 controllers, when I replaced an electrical outlet where I charge my controllers with one that had built in USB C ports.

I thought " this way I can just use the native USB C cable to charge my PS5 controller vs using the cable plugged into a charging brick". Nope, doesnt work, but ONLY "doesnt work" for my PS5 controllers. They are the OEM ones, and I have 3 of them.

The ports in the outlet do deliver power just fine, and charge my Xbox series X controllers just fine, with a straight USBC to USB C cable. The same cable that works for the Xbox Series X controllers doesnt work for the PS5, and no combination of USB C to USB C cable works (have tried multiple).

What works is, plugging the USB C to USBC cable into a charger wart/ brick (2 pronged electrical outlet). That works fine. So does using a USB A to C adapter and another outlet I have in my house that has built in USB A ports in it.

So, whatever it is, I doubt its the car. I dont play any of the tesla games in my car so havent tested that, and my model 3 is old enough not to have USB C at all. My wifes model Y has the USB C ports but again I havent tested it, but given my experience above, it feels like a PS5 controller power handshake issue, to me.