Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3 LR AWD : Center Console USB C - charging only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we picked up a 2023 M3 LR AWD yesterday, and I found after delivery that the center console USB C ports work as chargers only but has no data connection (ie : you can't insert USB storage to use for music/boombox/light show etc. The only data port appears to be in the globebox.

Is this normal for everyone? And has anyone found a valid workaround that does not involve pulling a long cable into the glove box?

Also, how safe is it to install a small hub in the glovebox so we can have sentry mode, music, custom lightshow without having to switch usb drives on a single port?

So we picked up a 2023 M3 LR AWD yesterday, and I found after delivery that the center console USB C ports work as chargers only but has no data connection (ie : you can't insert USB storage to use for music/boombox/light show etc. The only data port appears to be in the globebox.

Is this normal for everyone? And has anyone found a valid workaround that does not involve pulling a long cable into the glove box?

Also, how safe is it to install a small hub in the glovebox so we can have sentry mode, music, custom lightshow without having to switch usb drives on a single port?
Yes, Tesla disabled the data portion of the center console USB-C ports on the 3/Y since Nov 2021. The issue is the USB center console module inside doesn't have the USB plug portion built on the chip anymore. There was a workaround with a custom USB center console module that restored the USB functionality but that only works with HW3 compatible vehicles. With HW4, Tesla removed the USB port on the MCU so that is no longer an option.

FYI this is the Tparts USB center console module that people have been using to restore their data functionality on HW3 cars but not compatable with HW4 cars.

With just the glovebox port capable of data functionality you could get something like this glovebox USB expansion module and put your music USB in there.

• Informative
Reactions: JWLV and SQ97

Sadly, this is true. They also removed the ultrasonic proximity sensors. I think you can install a hub but I would not overload it with a bunch of things, just to be safe.

Tesla service center replied that yes, it's as designed - the center console USB C ports front and back are for charging only - the data port is in the globe box. I used a simple 3 port hub and it works so far. Highly annoying.
It is and the fact that the data port in the glovebox is only a USB-A 3.0 port which can only support so much data with a USB Hub

It is and the fact that the data port in the glovebox is only a USB-A 3.0 port which can only support so much data with a USB Hub
What would you need a higher data rate for? AFAIK there is no significant limit to the size of the device you can use (assuming power is not an issue). Also, I think the port in the glove box is usb-2. Tesla says the drive must be:

USB 2.0 compatible. If using a USB 3.0 drive, it must also support USB 2.0.

What would you need a higher data rate for? AFAIK there is no significant limit to the size of the device you can use (assuming power is not an issue). Also, I think the port in the glove box is usb-2. Tesla says the drive must be:

USB 2.0 compatible. If using a USB 3.0 drive, it must also support USB 2.0.
I stand corrected and checked and you are right in that it is a USB 2.0 port inside the glovebox since I don't see the blue bar inside the USB port. I just assumed it was a USB 3.0 port since it makes no sense nowadays to add only a USB 2.0 port. Even if you buy a new computer nowadays they are all USB-A 3.0 ports. I doubt the cost for a USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 port is really all that much nowadays and gives up to 10x more data transfer speeds. But it is Tesla and if they can cost cut to save 1 penny they seem to opt to do that.

I think my comment was more so assuming you are adding a USB hub and adding a bunch of devices in it.

I think my comment was more so assuming you are adding a USB hub and adding a bunch of devices in it.
What can you plug into the Tesla usb port that you will need a higher data rate for? An sd card with 3 partitions is all you would need IMO.

The usb music interface is pretty lousy so I limit the number of songs I put on usb to keep the UI reasonable. I have the luxury of data on my center console ports so I use the glovebox for sentry only and put everything else, music and light shows, in the center console.

IMO usb 2 makes sense because (at least here in the desert) heat is the great enemy of usb devices left in my car. I've already had a Samsung T5 die prematurely in my glovebox. I followed advice given here and switched over to a Samsung Pro Endurance mini sd card which is not nearly as fast as an ssd but runs cooler and has better environmental specs. If they don't need the speed and don't want the heat, usb 2 makes a lot of sense.

What can you plug into the Tesla usb port that you will need a higher data rate for? An sd card with 3 partitions is all you would need IMO.

The usb music interface is pretty lousy so I limit the number of songs I put on usb to keep the UI reasonable. I have the luxury of data on my center console ports so I use the glovebox for sentry only and put everything else, music and light shows, in the center console.

IMO usb 2 makes sense because (at least here in the desert) heat is the great enemy of usb devices left in my car. I've already had a Samsung T5 die prematurely in my glovebox. I followed advice given here and switched over to a Samsung Pro Endurance mini sd card which is not nearly as fast as an ssd but runs cooler and has better environmental specs. If they don't need the speed and don't want the heat, usb 2 makes a lot of sense.
I highly doubt the heat is the main consideration for using an USB 2.0 port. The max current draw is 500 maH for USB 2.0 vs. up to 900 maH for USB 3.0. The USB ports don't draw enough current to cause any sort of heat concerns and that is assuming it needs it. If the USB 3.0 port is running in USB 2.0 mode it uses the same amount of power as a native USB 2.0 port which is the point of the backwards compatibility requirement. To me it just makes no sense to not have a USB 3.0 port there in 2023. I would be highly concern for Tesla if a USB port whether it is 2.0 or 3.0 causes so much heat that the car is in danger.

Again I was stressing the situation if one wanted to put a USB hub to put in multiple USB devices. If you just want to use the USB to have everything...go for it. I get you can put everything in 1 device but some people may not want to do that and want to have a 2nd USB just for music and the main USB as their dashcam/Sentry recordings. The point is not to limit what one wants to do.