Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 or 2025 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I have been in model 3 for the past 6 years and 95k flawless miles on FSD - fantastic experience. Not a single repair or fault! Now am in the market for an SUV and looking at the X and R1S Long range (refresh model). They both have plus and minus’s but my question to the members here is regarding the reliability of the newer model X’s. I see so many posts with funky FWD problems, seat’s freezing or getting stuck, air suspension issues etc., Are the problems mostly with the older builds and 2023,24 onward are better? Your input is very much appreciated.

I have a 2022/23 X and have not had a lot of issues. The biggest one is rattling noises. It seems to happen most when the car is cold and seems to be a wire loose behind the driver display. It usually goes away when the car warms up. Other than that, the car is a dream to drive. Quick and nimble and typical Tesla amazing acceleration.

Reactions: jfontana
I personally would not buy any electric car/suv than Tesla, not for a few years anyway.

I would suggest you drive the Rivan and read/watch as many reviews as you can.
It's always anecdotal, but I have a rivian and an S and the rivian is excellent, now with the nacs supercharger adapter they have no charging problems with driving long distance. I've only had a few minor issues with the rivian, similar to what what my S had.

It's always anecdotal, but I have a rivian and an S and the rivian is excellent, now with the nacs supercharger adapter they have no charging problems with driving long distance. I've only had a few minor issues with the rivian, similar to what what my S had.
Hi @Seattle, I am in fact looking at R1S(new version) vs 2024/5 X ! I like the higher clearance R1S(for going off the road on occasion or going on gravel or forest roads, BLM lands and such). I plan on road tripping and very much interested in range- both about the same (large pack), but what’s your experience with real world mileage? 70-75 cruising.
I have FSD and hoping to transfer to X and the total savings and price difference is weighing in favour of the X. You’re thoughts?

Hi @Seattle, I am in fact looking at R1S(new version) vs 2024/5 X ! I like the higher clearance R1S(for going off the road on occasion or going on gravel or forest roads, BLM lands and such). I plan on road tripping and very much interested in range- both about the same (large pack), but what’s your experience with real world mileage? 70-75 cruising.
I have FSD and hoping to transfer to X and the total savings and price difference is weighing in favour of the X. You’re thoughts?
Its messy. I have the truck, not the SUV. Generally it's great. And they have conserve mode as an option. They have 3 batteries, 3 diff tires, 3 diff motors. Remember the EPA tests aren't going 70 mph. Tires for off-road are notably worse than most efficient ones.

The truck gets about 2 miles per kwh, way worse eff than Tesla but bigger battery. The quad has 700+ horsepower, 0 to 60 about 3. It's overpowered...

EPA combined range 21" tires was 314, 70 mph was 254, that sounds about right, from this article. https://insideevs.com/reviews/588696/rivian-r1t-range-test-review/