Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returned to Tesla after a 2 year break. My thoughts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018-2022: My first ever Tesla was a Model 3 SR+ and it was literally my little sports car. Looked like one and drove like one. It got more and more inconvenient for my back (6’4”) with how low it sat and there was honestly one rattle in these five years. Yes. It annoyed me a bit as nobody could figure out what it was (near door grille) but overall, it was a good maintenance free ownership.

2022-2024:This was also the time when we got a certified Mach-E GT Performance and certified Lexus RX SUV, both with a 360 camera along with standard rear cross traffic alert, blind spot mirror indicators, and good rear view mirror and overall visibility. We really got spoiled by the 360 cameras and the rear cross traffic alert system. But the Mach-E, while being stupid fast and well equipped, wasn’t refined enough for me. Grabby brakes were very annoying. Its roofline was also not as comfortable as we thought it would be and overall it just felt not spacious enough. Lexus checked all our boxes for a reliable car that my wife loves driving. It’s a boring but functional car with a soft floaty ride. It’s what she likes so it stayed. And I finally said good bye to Mach E that turned heads every single day. I just wasn’t happy with its ride quality and the in-car tech. It did have excellent parking sensors radar and front cameras. Read on…

2024-present: I evaluated many and I mean every SUV that I’d fit comfortably and sit higher in both in the front and back seats. The search yielded Model X, EV9, Rivian R1S. The Rivian drove well but has a relatively cramped second row for tall people and $100k is too much Same with Model X - second row not as spacious and $80k was a bit much. EV9 is the only real charmer with space ride quality and tech. But at close to $70k, a 7 seater would have been an overkill for us. It would be a good idea to state here that I was particularly against buying a Tesla due to the lack of proper parking assistance and poor rear visibility.

Decision: I drove the Model Y I was avoiding all this while and I was surprised how well it drove and how much more spacious it was. The braking was smooth. Suspension not as bumpy as what everyone says, 4.8s still felt plenty fast even if it is not 3.8s GT Performance stupid quick and I could always get Y to 4.2s. There was just something about the Y that made me feel right back at home. My fear of not having a 360 camera, sensors, RCTA, etc. still loomed large. But I didn’t want to wait forever because the search gets exhausting and there’s no perfect answer. Tesla has some obvious advantages over other EV and I wanted an EV given we already have a gas SUV.

I ended up buying a slightly used (made in Feb used for 750 miles) traded in 2024 Model Y Long Range AWD. Tve guy who traded in has another Tesla and changed this one for a truck. So. The best part was that this car came with FSD, Tow Hitch, and HW4.0, and cost me $45k “out the door” (in essence I paid $36k for the base car “out the door” before FSD And Tow). I should mention here that I don’t qualify for any tax credits, so it’s weirdly better for me to buy used especially if it’s equipped with more packages than base.

Experience: The Y is an interesting car to drive. It feels like a car around turns and corners but it’s a crossover body. The software and build quality have come a long way since my last Tesla yet it’s still not quite mind blowing with the color scheme inside and choice of materials. It feels like a…fancy cab. And I can see why it is moving in the direction of actually being one with spartan functional interior. Leg and head space are really good though in both rows. Storage space is enough for us. The seats are cushy but I definitely compromised on ventilated seats. The HW4.0 cameras are way better than 3.0. The blind spot cameras are neat! So much has been discussed already so it’s hard to add anything new.

That brings me to my time facing my fears of missing features in the Y compared to my other and previous car.

The vision system is, in one word, inadequate. It doesn’t work in my garage at all and it is going to take me some time to get used to parking without 360 camera. Outside, I sorely miss the 360 in tight curbside spots and it constantly feels like a compromise. Especially if parking nose in. Now, I know that straight line lots are back in parking and slanted line lots are pull in. I might have to start backing in which also alleviates the need for cross traffic assistance. The rear view is another example. It’s just bad. Not having the mirrors lit for blind spot is another thing I now constantly worry about. All in all, it’s going to take some time getting used to the shortcomings by adjusting my habits. Everything else is just fantastic and I have no remorse because I know exactly what I was buying. There was just nothing better (EV) which checked all boxes at this price.

Last edited:
It feels like a…fancy cab
I concur. Which is good since I bought it for a cab with no test drive!

Too far away from the big city. I did check one out belonging to a enthusiastic customer. She was only too happy to show me around hers after a ride home from the airport. The ride suitabilty decision was based on the various drive reports such as yours.

Mine came on 20's and Michelin PS EV's. I am leaning towards running the tyres out once we get through winter and then cashing up the rims. Pretty and all but the tyres are $$$ compared to 19's.

The ride should be a bit plusher on the 19's too not that I have any complaints with the Michelins. Just they are not winter tyres for going up skifields and doing frosty starts.

Reactions: youngmcdonald