Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21.20.2 lowers NBCs and is easier on the batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
21.20.2 seems to have finally addressed my big beef with the advanced/balanced algorithm from this thread:

I noticed it last week the day after this update happened.

Rather than charging to powerwalls to 100% by 1 or 2 pm from solar and leaving them sitting at 100% for several hours, it's acting my like self consumption mode during off peak where I'm using more power from solar and less from the grid. The batteries are charged slower hitting 85 or 90% by the time peak rolls around.

How fully the the battery charges seems to be a product of how much I'm using the battery during peak the previous several days so if it's hot and I'm using more AC the system is adapting and charging the batteries fuller.

The result is that the battery is only charging to what I typically need and not leaving it at that charge level for hours and I'm using less of the grid during off peak resulting in fewer NBCs.

It's closer to an adaptive self consumption during off peak but still using some off peak grid power if it's necessary to put more sun into the batteries based on the predicted need during peak time.