Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time Base Control not a good recommendation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla recommends Time Based Control to maximize your saving. My installation is 48 panels and 2 power walls over the last several years I used Self Powered.

However I thought I would give TBC a try. I am a PG&E TOC Rate C customer using MCI. What is going on? My Power Walls are charged to 100% with a 50% reserve for back up.

With TOC last night during peak (4pm to 9pm) none of the stored Power Wall energy got used. I used the grid from 4 pm to 9 pm instead of the Power Wall Energy.

Tesla told me it is because my Pricing settings for off peak, and peak, buy price and sell price, are not correctly set and there should at least be a .15c difference between the two to enable TOC to correctly work.

My problem is I can not find what to use for buy and sell from PGE for peak and and off peak pricing for the two seasons, summer and winter.

Tesla needs to do a better job helping explain why they recommend Time-Based Control. Something does not seem right here. Can anyone help me fix this?????

What should I be using?

Tesla recommends Time Based Control to maximize your saving. My installation is 48 panels and 2 power walls over the last several years I used Self Powered.

However I thought I would give TBC a try. I am a PG&E TOC Rate C customer using MCI. What is going on? My Power Walls are charged to 100% with a 50% reserve for back up.

With TOC last night during peak (4pm to 9pm) none of the stored Power Wall energy got used. I used the grid from 4 pm to 9 pm instead of the Power Wall Energy.

Tesla told me it is because my Pricing settings for off peak, and peak, buy price and sell price, are not correctly set and there should at least be a .15c difference between the two to enable TOC to correctly work.

My problem is I can not find what to use for buy and sell from PGE for peak and and off peak pricing for the two seasons, summer and winter.

Tesla needs to do a better job helping explain why they recommend Time-Based Control. Something does not seem right here. Can anyone help me fix this?????

What should I be using?

Also reduce the sell back rates by 3 cents and kWh because of minimal charges.

Did you select the appropriate utility rate plan in the app settings?

TBC definitely works even if buy and sell prices are the same, so even though setting the right pricing and perhaps adjusting for minimum charges that might be in play is best, it should still work.

Last edited:

What should I be using?
Did you figure this out? I have a new system and have Pge and I don’t know what to do either, the app pre-filled in the buy and sell price of $.49 per kilowatt for each buy and sell which I know is not what I get paid from Pge because I am new so I am on the worst Plan.

I could use some help here too.

Did you figure this out? I have a new system and have Pge and I don’t know what to do either, the app pre-filled in the buy and sell price of $.49 per kilowatt for each buy and sell which I know is not what I get paid from Pge because I am new so I am on the worst Plan.

I could use some help here too.
Which PG&E rate plan are you on? Did you select that plan in the app?

Which PG&E rate plan are you on? Did you select that plan in the app?
The app is not giving me the different plans to choose from with Pge but I haven’t got the permission to operate yet either, I have not changed my PG&E plan from E1 yet to the one that everyone is recommending which is the TOU-C, I think it is.

Right now if I use time of use on the app I’ll be paying the $.42 rate no matter when I used the grid because I haven’t changed yet off of Plan E-1 isn’t that correct so I should use self powered until I make the change to TOU-C? It says I can only change my plan twice a year so I was holding off to be sure.

I have attached picture of what the app shows me as to rate plans.

Attachments

• IMG_3728.png
    IMG_3728.png
    244.3 KB · Views: 8