Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21-70 cell information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also do expect a 5500mAh cell which is a nominal 20Wh. That would result in using a third of the cells they use today to make a pack, reducing pack complexity and manufacturing costs. There's so much opportunity for improvement, good days are upon us.

Given the new cells are ~47% larger by volume, and assuming the 2nd gen chemistry cells with the silicon anodes were ~3300mAh, then just the volume increase alone would render a ~4850mAh cell. It would take another 13% increase in density due to chemistry changes/packaging efficiency to hit 5500mAh... that doesn't seem terribly unreasonable.

With most things staying the same, the lower number of cells to achieve the same capacity will also result in lower building costs and *higher reliability* of the pack (less friction bonded fuses and links). This is a big question mark with the initial 21700 cells since they will not have a reliability rating and history like previous 18650 cells. Then again they might be a lot better. Only time will tell.

Now that Tesla has officially announced the new cell is 21mm by 70mm (21-70 in their naming, 21700 in conventional battery parlance), I'm opening a thread to discuss any known details of it: capacity, discharge rate, weight, etc. Here's what we know currently: almost nothing.
Samsung recently announced a similar 21700 cell, aimed at the rapidly growing e-bicycle market. The European e-bicycle market alone is around 1.5 million units annually, consuming somewhere around 0.6 gWh of cells, and has been growing at 20 percent compounded for almost a decade. The Samsung 21700 cell is nominally rated at 4.750 Ah, is listed at 3.6 volts nominal, has a max discharge rating of just under 2C, and claimed to weigh 75 grams. Most 18650s are in the range of 45 to 48 grams. Straubel or Musk somewhere along the way mentioned the new 21-70 had 40 percent more energy than the prior 18650 cell, which might put it around 4.8 Ah as well, if they were talking energy and not specific energy.
Does anyone know anything else?
To get to 20 Wh per cell requires a 75% increase in active materials.
The volume increase 18650 to 21-70 is 46.6% increase.
The weight increase is likely to be 56% to 75 grams
The cell casing, if the thickness does not change, will decrease from about 3.8% to 3.3% at the larger size.
If the active materials (cathode, anode, etc) are half the weight (50%) of the cell, that will need to increase to 56% in the larger cell to achieve a 75% energy increase.
If the active material is 62.5%, it will need to increase to 70% for a 75% energy increase.
If the active material is 75% by weight, it will need to increase 84% for a 75% energy increase.

I.E., the active material portion of the cells is increasing 6% to 9% by weight using these examples. Surely, this can be done by rolling a thicker layer of cathode and anode. As the battery size and range of the car has increased, the rate at which the ions move in and out of the cathode and anode slows down as the load is shared by more cells.

Tesla has shown its vehicles have more than enough acceleration and thus power/torgue/electron flow. Surely, Tesla is optimising its cells for energy density. It already uses NCA cathodes for this purpose.

1. Does anyone know the root problem of the LG cells used for the Samsung Note 8 smartphone fiasco ?

2. Does anyone know who makes the cells used for the Faraday Future FF 91 and how they compare with the Panasonic 18650 or 21700?

Ah... so Jack's citing "rumor central" for a 5.75A cell. Thanks.

I'd actually calculated that 2170 cell closer to 6Ah would be more likely if JB's "30% density increase since designing Model S" holds true...

Now that Tesla has officially announced the new cell is 21mm by 70mm (21-70 in their naming, 21700 in conventional battery parlance), I'm opening a thread to discuss any known details of it: capacity, discharge rate, weight, etc. Here's what we know currently: almost nothing.
Samsung recently announced a similar 21700 cell, aimed at the rapidly growing e-bicycle market. The European e-bicycle market alone is around 1.5 million units annually, consuming somewhere around 0.6 gWh of cells, and has been growing at 20 percent compounded for almost a decade. The Samsung 21700 cell is nominally rated at 4.750 Ah, is listed at 3.6 volts nominal, has a max discharge rating of just under 2C, and claimed to weigh 75 grams. Most 18650s are in the range of 45 to 48 grams. Straubel or Musk somewhere along the way mentioned the new 21-70 had 40 percent more energy than the prior 18650 cell, which might put it around 4.8 Ah as well, if they were talking energy and not specific energy.
Does anyone know anything else?

Samsung SDI and LG Chemicals to Mass-Produce 2nd Generation Cylindrical Batteries for Electric Vehicles

Their claim is that the Tesla/Panasonic cell is only 4500mAh. This contradicts Musk on highest energy density, and the claim seems thinly sourced. We will hopefully hear an official number soon...

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Samsung SDI and LG Chemicals to Mass-Produce 2nd Generation Cylindrical Batteries for Electric Vehicles

Their claim is that the Tesla/Panasonic cell is only 4500mAh. This contradicts Musk on highest energy density, and the claim seems thinly sourced. We will hopefully hear an official number soon...

Well, we now know the Tesla/Panasonic cells, assuming they are nominally 3.6 volt, are rated at 5.0Ah, or have 18Wh each. This is only a small improvement on the current 18650s when you take the volume increase of the new cells into account. The pack for the long-range M3 has 4,416 of them, and is nominally 79-80 kWh, with something like 75kWh usable. The standard pack is about 53.5kWh, with 2,976 cells, and a usable capacity (probably) of around 50 kWh. Efficiency on the M3 is very good to get the 220 mile EPA range. This strongly suggests that these cells in a MS/MX will not give a substantial increase from the 100kWh currently available from 18650s. Given that, I would expect the 18650 packs to continue until we see a more substantial update of the MS/MX models.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
So these cells are probably only 240 wh/kg, good but nothing spectacular. I would guess they have a higher C rate than the 18650s, which may be why their specific energy didn't improve significantly.

I may have used an high cell weight in that last calculation: 75g. I see other 21700 cells can be as light as 67g, a weight which would put the energy density at about 270wh/kg, better than current Panasonic 18650s, but not by a lot.

G
Are you suggesting that Tesla built the cells for higher C rating, sacrificing some capacity density, or that the larger format on it's own would provide higher C rating? (Because the latter would not be accurate).

Generally, obtaining higher C-rating in a cell requires lower energy density, as the cell designer has to provide more area for conductivity at the expense of reactive material. I was suggesting that Tesla/Panasonic may have gone with a lower impedance, higher C-rating cell at the expense of some energy capacity. Low impedance also has advantages in avoiding pack heating under high-draw or charge conditions. It will be interesting to see what this functionally means when higher-rate Superchargers are eventually announced.

Reactions: JRP3