Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" or 19"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I have seen lots of threads on this topic but as I am about to place an order for a 75D tomorrow I was hoping people have some advice so I can stop flip/flopping. I am based in Ireland and our roads cab be " challenging" at times once off the motorways so what are people's experience with 21s...if any one from UK or IE could post a response that would be great.

To be honest I love the looks and the handling but I have two kids below 4 and the thoughts of a blow out on the west coast of Ireland doesn't appeal....wife would kill me :)

Cheers

J

Hi All, I have seen lots of threads on this topic but as I am about to place an order for a 75D tomorrow I was hoping people have some advice so I can stop flip/flopping. I am based in Ireland and our roads cab be " challenging" at times once off the motorways so what are people's experience with 21s...if any one from UK or IE could post a response that would be great.

To be honest I love the looks and the handling but I have two kids below 4 and the thoughts of a blow out on the west coast of Ireland doesn't appeal....wife would kill me :)

Cheers

J

You just answered your own question. 19. Better range, quieter ride, stronger and longer lasting tires. Cheaper. No brainer.

Getting 21" wheels was the only bad part of my Model S experience and one of the worst financial decisions of my life. I live in Atlanta with some potholes but not many. I rarely hit them. But I do once in a while. The first pothole I hit (on an on-ramp, not going that fast, and completely pitch black in a turn so hard to avoid) took out 2 tires two hours from my home and two hours from the nearest service center. I had my two kids in the third row seats and had no way to safely get them home in another vehicle since I had no car seats. My wife had to drive 4 hours round trip to pick me up. Total cost: $1000, and two scuffed up rims.

Then about a month later I noticed one of my wheels was cracked (not one of the ones involved in the flat tires). I think it was from a construction area were the pavement changed level with about a 1-inch bump upwards. The car hit hard. It would have cost $1400 to replace it. Instead I spent $2k on aftermarket 20" wheels and a new set of tires and haven't looked back. I mean the car would hit hard just backing out of my driveway with 21" wheels. I sold my one good wheel, two brand new tires, and two scuffed rims for about $500. So $5k down the drain.

My suggestion: keep the 19s and then go aftermarket 20s if you want.

Kirkbauer's post is pretty much all you need to read to convince you, but I will add that the car handles incredibly well regardless of what OEM rubber is on it. Goodyear's on 19" slipstreams and the wife is asking me to slow down around corners long before the tires start complaining. This is typically 90km/h on corners with the suggested speed of 60km/h. The car will easily take them at 110km/h. I have driven loaners with 21" Pilot Sports and Continentals and they feel more planted/less twitchy at the limit for sure, but do I need to go 120-130km/h? Your cornering mileage may vary.

I love my 21s..but I have a set of stock 19s as well.If you are thinking about the 21s you will eventually tempt yourself into buying them later so just get them with your order at a discount over buying them at a silly rate later.

I love my 21s..but I have a set of stock 19s as well.If you are thinking about the 21s you will eventually tempt yourself into buying them later so just get them with your order at a discount over buying them at a silly rate later.

Here the 21" are 49k SEK (~$5.4k) EXTRA over the 19" when buying a new car. You can easily buy slightly used 21" turbines/arachnids for much less than that AND still get the 19" with the car.

Well, unless you just need to buy new directly from Tesla of course.

The main problem with the slipstreams are that they are just boring and make the car look boring as well. The 21" turbines makes the car look so much better. I've never experienced any problems with the 21". The ride is still smooth and quiet. Not at all like a BMW M-sport on large alloys. I think it's the air suspension that helps with this.

I went through the same decision agony when I ordered my Model S almost 4 years ago. I really, really wanted the 21s but ended up with the 19s due it being more practical. However I ended up purchasing a set of second-hand 21s recently so I have my "sexy" set and my original set when I want a softer, quieter ride.

In your case, I say go with the 19s unless you're really into handling performance and/or want it for cosmetic reasons. You can always get the larger wheels later if you still feel emotionally steered towards the larger-wheel look.

I feel the need to chime in, even though I am in the states. Connecticut is known to have some of the worst roads around. My 2013 CPO P85 came with stock five spoke rims and 19s. Blew through a set of rear tires in about six months. A little spirited driving, I guess.
Moved on to chromed 19 inch slipstreams which I liked very much until the whole arachnid frenzy. I picked up a set of staggered 21 inch arachnids and love the look and the improved handling. Do not like the harsher ride or wearing down the rears in seven months. Now I have to hassle Michelin and try to get two tires prorated under the tread wear warranty. And, those 21s are expensive to replace if you end up having to pay full price.
Bottom line, going back to 19s for day to day and keeping the spiders if the mood strikes me.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Ditto on the 19”. After 3 years and 2 Model S’ with 21” wheels I just ordered the 19” gray slipstreams for my car. I have been very lucky and super careful it after 1 bent rim and 3 tires with those pinch bulges I am making the switch. If it’s looks then 100% the 19” gray slipstreams look super nice. Ride quality, comfort, sound, range....all roads lead to the 19”. Took me 3 years for my hard head to realize it.

I've been driving on the 21s after several years on the 19s. The cornering is noticeably better on the 21s and much easier to, uh, test the curved freeway onramps. The tire noise is getting a bit annoying though and my interior is starting to rattle a bit extra. That said, I plan to switch back to the 19s soon as the rain is about to start falling more consistently in my area.

That said, I'm also purchasing a set of silver Turbines (second-hand) because I love the look of the 21s in both colors. I have no idea how I'm going to store all this in my garage.

I have both and 19 and 21" (21" square vs staggered) and have logged many thousands of miles with both and have found no difference in range contrary to popular opinion. The comfort is not significantly different either. I think the software summer only compound compensates for the shorter profile vs the harder all season compound of the taller 19" tire.

All the other disadvantages of the 21" wheels are true. Requires summer tires. Rubber doesn't last as long, and far more easily damaged by potholes.