Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Rims on 265/35 R21 Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im in the same boat in san diego w a p85d; just do the contisilent 5P in 245/265 staggered. Tesla mistakenly replaced my 245/265 tires with Pilot Sport's on my car and so i tried them out for 2 weeks, then just replaced these with the contisilent 5P's. The Continental are much quieter because of the foam; and I think overall a better tire then the Pilot Sport. If Supersports were available they are the best overall, but they just arent available yet. Only downside with the 5p are they wear out fast; but by the time theyre worn out the supersports should be available...

Update:

I'm glad too see all the positive feedback and that others have tried it. Sorry for not replying sooner as staying connected to the forum without Taptalk is not easy.

When I attempted to shape the wheel wells I used a heat guns and a 2x4 for leverage. You need a decent amount of heat to reshape the wheel wells so I needed to keep my hands out. Something round or a globe of some kind would have been better but I had to use what was available to me.

In low and standard suspension height there was no rubbing initially, In High and Very High there was a lot of rubbing when the wheel were turned at 2/3.
Overtime, I did start to get more rubbing. At first i though it something to do with the tires or the wheel wells. But as it turned out I had problems with the front end sagging. The wheel front bumper cover & grill started to migrate toward the driver side & down causing more rubbing. My wife was driving the car more regularly and apparently she was having a little too much fun on twisty roads on her drive home.

I just had Tesla realign the front bumper cover & grill and I now have no rubbing at all at Low & Standard suspension height. Even when backing up.

In looking at both Classic model S (2012-2015) & the new S (2016+) they all have problems with the front cover sagging. The sagging and misaligned front end seems to be a big problem for Tesla. The new ones seem to have more problems. The service center had one in the showroom ready when I first showed them my issues. The bumper on the new S had some very large uneven gaps. For example, the hood was tight to the passenger side light, but on the driver side I could get a whole finger worth of space in.

Lessons learned - With the smaller stock tires the front end not aligning is not a problem. But with larger tires, the front bumper & grill cover does somewhat shape the plastic covers and can pull them down a bit causing more rubbing.

Has anyone else had experience with the front end sagging on their Model S?
Every time I'm at the service center or at a supercharger I tend to check other Model S to see if they have the same issue. I only find sagging and uneven front bumpers. Specially on the new models. you can really see it if you compare the gaps around the lights on both sides. not sure if anyone else has noticed before.

• Love
Reactions: bradhs and Snerruc
Update:

I'm glad too see all the positive feedback and that others have tried it. Sorry for not replying sooner as staying connected to the forum without Taptalk is not easy.

When I attempted to shape the wheel wells I used a heat guns and a 2x4 for leverage. You need a decent amount of heat to reshape the wheel wells so I needed to keep my hands out. Something round or a globe of some kind would have been better but I had to use what was available to me.

In low and standard suspension height there was no rubbing initially, In High and Very High there was a lot of rubbing when the wheel were turned at 2/3.
Overtime, I did start to get more rubbing. At first i though it something to do with the tires or the wheel wells. But as it turned out I had problems with the front end sagging. The wheel front bumper cover & grill started to migrate toward the driver side & down causing more rubbing. My wife was driving the car more regularly and apparently she was having a little too much fun on twisty roads on her drive home.

I just had Tesla realign the front bumper cover & grill and I now have no rubbing at all at Low & Standard suspension height. Even when backing up.

In looking at both Classic model S (2012-2015) & the new S (2016+) they all have problems with the front cover sagging. The sagging and misaligned front end seems to be a big problem for Tesla. The new ones seem to have more problems. The service center had one in the showroom ready when I first showed them my issues. The bumper on the new S had some very large uneven gaps. For example, the hood was tight to the passenger side light, but on the driver side I could get a whole finger worth of space in.

Lessons learned - With the smaller stock tires the front end not aligning is not a problem. But with larger tires, the front bumper & grill cover does somewhat shape the plastic covers and can pull them down a bit causing more rubbing.

Has anyone else had experience with the front end sagging on their Model S?
Every time I'm at the service center or at a supercharger I tend to check other Model S to see if they have the same issue. I only find sagging and uneven front bumpers. Specially on the new models. you can really see it if you compare the gaps around the lights on both sides. not sure if anyone else has noticed before.

Hi,

I trust all is well during these times.

I understand this thread is from a long time ago and you may still not even have your S as you were trying to get rid of it. I was in hopes that I could pick your brain with an issue I am encountering.

Like yourself, I have been extremely disappointed in Tesla in the sense that they prioritize technology and selling many cars! In turn, they completely disregard customer service and quality control. That said, I have a 2019 Model S long range and recently picked up a set of 21" HRE FF04(21x9 in the front and 21x10 rear) and was told by HRE that there was only 1 spec for 21" wheels which would not cause any rubbing issues. They also recommended running 255/35/21 in the fronts and 275/35/21 in the rear which I took up and have Michellin Pilot Sports 4S on the car. After install, I'm encountering some rub to the front of the wheel well(not back) on the driver front when I'm turning right going at a slow speed. Interesting enough is that i have no rub on the passenger side.

After carefully reading your post and viewing your photos, it seems like the rub is happening in the same place as yours. I know you applied the below:

-Taking a heat gun to the wheel lining
-Having Tesla realign the front bumper and grill
-Wheel alignment form Tesla SC? I have a friend that works as a tech at Tesla and he mentioned that when you do a wheel alignment at tesla, they also align or check out the air suspensions which could be causing this issue? Any thoughts here?

Before I take a heat gun to the wheel liner, I wanted to get your thoughts and insight as to whats the best way to approach this.

Once again, I do understand you encountered this problem in 2016 but would to hear any insights or suggestions that you may have for me.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Attachments

• Tesla.jpg
    Tesla.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 67