Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" Rims with non staggered setup 265/35r22 x 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to go ahead and go a different route than the OEM 22" staggered setup and will share my experience after I get some real world range numbers and efficiency. I was curious if anyone else is running aftermarket rims with 265's in the front and rear. I am going with 265/35r22 all the way around. The ability to rotate the tires seemed like a big benefit and potentially less range loss moving from the stock 20's to 22's.

I like the idea of a square setup because the advantage of being able to rotate tires. I am running that exact setup. I have a set of 22” Unplugged 03 Super Light Forged Wheels. I have 265/35/22 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 all the way around. Great all around tire with great tread life and very light. Perhaps the only disadvantage is the load index on the 265s is 102 compared to 106 for the 285s, but Tesla does not recommend using 22” wheels in a towing configuration. I have thought about going to 275/35/22 for a little more sidewall width to protect my wheels from curb rash but the selection in that size is very limited and so the cost for those wheels is quite a bit more. Also I have a square setup for my winter wheels too. I drop down to a 20” x 9 rim and run 275/45/20 Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 all the way around. Keep in mind that most winter tires are directional so you can only do front to back rotation.

Reactions: Tesseract
I like the idea of a square setup because the advantage of being able to rotate tires. I am running that exact setup. I have a set of 22” Unplugged 03 Super Light Forged Wheels. I have 265/35/22 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 all the way around. Great all around tire with great tread life and very light. Perhaps the only disadvantage is the load index on the 265s is 102 compared to 106 for the 285s, but Tesla does not recommend using 22” wheels in a towing configuration. I have thought about going to 275/35/22 for a little more sidewall width to protect my wheels from curb rash but the selection in that size is very limited and so the cost for those wheels is quite a bit more. Also I have a square setup for my winter wheels too. I drop down to a 20” x 9 rim and run 275/45/20 Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 all the way around. Keep in mind that most winter tires are directional so you can only do front to back rotation.

Glad to hear the positive feedback. Yep good call on the tires as well. I got the same conti’s $195 a tire was a great price too. I agree with you on towing. I have the ability to swap back to the stock 20’s within 30 minutes if I really needed to for a longer road trip or towing.

I figured it would be minimal but technically the efficiency loss should be less running the slightly smaller size as well.

I appreciate the feedback!

Just wanted to give a quick update after a little over 1000 miles on the new tire and rim setup 265/35/22 all the way around. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS have a really nice ride and are pretty comparable in terms of road noise to my 20" setup. No negative effects by running a non staggered setup like the vehicle has stock. I did a speedometer test with a friend while driving down the highway to see if it caused a discrepancy in displayed speed vs actual speed. I found no issues while performing that quick test though.

Overall very pleased with the square setup and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

Reactions: nuP90D