Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220 NEMA Adapter vs. Tesla Wall Unit - Thoughts? Just ordered a Model Y Performance for delivery July-August

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar thought, but I'd just sell the Tesla wall connector and install some high powered J1772 box.

At this point for me I'm willing to just spend money and make things as seamlessly convenient as I can.
Well, to be more specific, we thought we might end up with 2 EVs in the garage at once -- one being a Tesla and the other not. Then of course we would have to share power but honestly, to me it's not a big deal, nor is the relatively slow charging speed of NEMA 14-50. In the year and a half that I've owned my MS, not once have I ever been put out by "slow" charging speed. It's never even been close to an issue.

Having said that, I paid my electrician ~$900 to have the outlet installed. It has, however, worked flawlessly. I see the wall connector costs $495 -- no idea what it would cost to install it. Of course, the mobile charging connector came with my car, which I guess is no longer the case. You could just get the wall connector if you're only worried about charging a Tesla. But I do like the peace of mind of having the mobile charging connector in case I ever go some place that it could come in handy (hasn't happened yet).

Upvote 0
Well, to be more specific, we thought we might end up with 2 EVs in the garage at once -- one being a Tesla and the other not. Then of course we would have to share power but honestly, to me it's not a big deal, nor is the relatively slow charging speed of NEMA 14-50. In the year and a half that I've owned my MS, not once have I ever been put out by "slow" charging speed. It's never even been close to an issue.

Having said that, I paid my electrician ~$900 to have the outlet installed. It has, however, worked flawlessly. I see the wall connector costs $495 -- no idea what it would cost to install it. Of course, the mobile charging connector came with my car, which I guess is no longer the case. You could just get the wall connector if you're only worried about charging a Tesla. But I do like the peace of mind of having the mobile charging connector in case I ever go some place that it could come in handy (hasn't happened yet).

The elongated version of my NEMA 14-50 decision was that I knew I wouldn't be in that house for terribly long, and wasn't actually home much while I lived there (mostly on my boat on the east coast) so didn't bother having a wall connector installed that I wouldn't be there to use. Now that I'm in my new house I am considering having a wall connector installed. But first I need to get all the other "new home" bugs worked out. So far I'm not impressed with the electrician they used. Once all his errors are corrected I'm going to call MY electrician and have him do the wall connector install.

Upvote 0