Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Universal Wall Connector not charging my 2011 Leaf :( [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
Just got the new Universal Wall Connector installed to replace the NEMA 6-50 plug that was connected to a J1772 charger which I used to charge my Leaf and my Tesla with the J1772 adapter.

The new connector charges the Tesla fine at 32amps (need to upgrade panel for more... It's on Todo list) Yay!

But it doesn't charge my Leaf. I get a single beep on the Leaf and nothing.

Tesla charges just fine. Hmmm.

I'm going to go get a 110 to J1772 charger now from Best buy so I have a way to charge my Leaf in the meantime (my original doesn't work - 12 years old car). I'll also get the lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter to see if that's the problem.

I think I know someone with a non Tesla EV and I'll have them try the new charger too.

EDIT - Now it's working. Apparently you need to wait 30 seconds for it to switch to the J1772 protocol for the Leaf. It was instantaneous before so I thought something was wrong.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
Trying another non-Tesla is a good idea. I hope Tesla fixes this for you if the problem is with your Universal Wall Connector.

Please let us know how it turns out.

GSP

Reactions: cdub
NEMA 6-50 (120v)
A 6-50 is 240. Here's the old plug.

PXL_20231013_190617767.jpg

There's no such thing as NEMA 16-50. Was it a NEMA 6-50 (120v) or a NEMA 14-50 (240v)? If it was a NEMA 6-50, maybe the Leaf can't do 240v ?

What model Leaf do you have?
AFAIK, all Nissan Leaf, and all other J1772 EVs, will charge from 240 V supply.

GSP

(even my non-J1772 Zero DSR motorcycle, which only has a standard 120 V power cord, will charge from 240 V per Zero's documentation)

Just got the new Universal Wall Connector installed to replace the NEMA 6-50 plug that was connected to a J1772 charger which I used to charge my Leaf and my Tesla with the J1772 adapter.

The new connector charges the Tesla fine at 32amps (need to upgrade panel for more... It's on Todo list) Yay!

But it doesn't charge my Leaf. I get a single beep on the Leaf and nothing.

Tesla charges just fine. Hmmm.

I'm going to go get a 110 to J1772 charger now from Best buy so I have a way to charge my Leaf in the meantime (my original doesn't work - 12 years old car). I'll also get the lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter to see if that's the problem.

I think I know someone with a non Tesla EV and I'll have them try the new charger too.
Did you wait 30 seconds for Tesla to fall back to the J1772 protocol? Not sure about the UMC, but for the wall chargers, Tesla starts first with the Tesla handshake. Then after 30 seconds of failing, it will switch over to J1772.
Charge Compatibility with a Volt

Look in the manual for the Leaf to see what the single beep means.

AFAIK, all Nissan Leaf, and all other J1772 EVs, will charge from 240 V supply.

GSP

(even my non-J1772 Zero DSR motorcycle, which only has a standard 120 V power cord, will charge from 240 V per Zero's documentation)
Yes it charged fine on my old 240 charger yesterday. It just does a single beep with the new Tesla universal one and nothing.

Charges Tesla fine though. No errors.

Did you wait 30 seconds for Tesla to fall back to the J1772 protocol? Not sure about the UMC, but for the wall chargers, Tesla starts first with the Tesla handshake. Then after 30 seconds of failing, it will switch over to J1772.

I'll try plugging it in and waiting longer. It's strange for it not to start charging right away though like my old one.

Thanks for the tip! Waiting 30 seconds did the trick. Go figure. It was instantaneous before so I thought something was wrong.

Is there a way to edit title of thread to say that it was solved?
(moderator note)

I will add that for you. I do read most threads in the subforums I moderate, but the best way to get a moderators attention if you want to do something like this is to report the thread (click the report button) and then state what you would like. It doesnt have to be a negative reason to report a thread.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and cdub
Nevermind it's happening again. Sigh. Waited over a minute and nothing.
I didn't realize this was a wall connector not a UMC. Follow the instructions in the manual to reset it and configure it so that it allows charging all EVs (not just Teslas).

There's another thread on this subject for a Rivian.

• Love
Reactions: cdub