Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'23 MYLR - Charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually charge my MYLR when the miles gets below 150. Most of the time when I charge, 80% should be 264 but the charging stops around 253/255. I charge late in the afternoon to evening so when I get notified, I will remove the plug from the car. A couple of times, I have noticed that when I remove the plug from the car about half hour after charging has finished, the range goes up to 264/267.

I thought when the app reports that charging is complete, it is complete. Seems that it isn't. Has anyone else noticed this?

Measuring the battery level is not an exact science. The BMS has to try and measure inputs and outputs in addition to using the voltage to come up with a reasonable estimate. Temperature changes also affect the overall capacity. It's not unusual at all for the estimate to change after charging has stopped. If you only charge across a small range of battery (like down to 60%, then up to 80%), then the BMS has an even harder time knowing the true level.

Running the battery down and then charging all the way up to 100% will improve the estimate for a while, but it doesn't actually make the battery hold more, so I don't bother, for the most part.