Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question on Scheduled Departure charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on my third Tesla and I've yet to figure out Scheduled Departure charging. I set my battery limit to 100% (for a trip) and the departure time to 6 AM. When I plug my level 2 plug in the night before it immediately starts charging, regardless of the state of charge. For example, the SOC is at 83% and I plugged it in at 8 pm and it started charging even though it'll only take two hours to get to 100%.

This seems to happen regardless whether I have the preconditioning enabled or not. I have off-peak charging turned off.

Any suggestions to getting it to finish charging at 6 AM?

Thanks,

Cliff

I am not a Tesla tech docs writer but here’s what I’ve gleaned from usage:

You can use the “Schedule Charging” feature to tell the car when to start charging. If you have off-peak electricity charges you can tell it when that period starts, so it will wait to start charging until that period starts. Once you reach your set maximum charge point it will keep it there, within 1-2%. It won’t do anything with regards to cabin temperature.

Or you can use the “Scheduled Departure” to tell the car when to be all ready to go (charged to your limit, cabin conditioned to your set temp). If you have off-peak electricity charges you can tell it when that period ends, so it will fill the car before then. It will wait to start charging so that it reaches your set maximum charge right before your off-peak time ends, and then it will keep it topped off until your departure time.

Subtle differences, hope that helps!

I am not a Tesla tech docs writer but here’s what I’ve gleaned from usage:

You can use the “Schedule Charging” feature to tell the car when to start charging. If you have off-peak electricity charges you can tell it when that period starts, so it will wait to start charging until that period starts. Once you reach your set maximum charge point it will keep it there, within 1-2%. It won’t do anything with regards to cabin temperature.

Or you can use the “Scheduled Departure” to tell the car when to be all ready to go (charged to your limit, cabin conditioned to your set temp). If you have off-peak electricity charges you can tell it when that period ends, so it will fill the car before then. It will wait to start charging so that it reaches your set maximum charge right before your off-peak time ends, and then it will keep it topped off until your departure time.

Subtle differences, hope that helps!
Yes, I'm trying to get Scheduled Departure to work. Right now, it just starts charging when I plug it in.

The below settings work for me if I want my car to get up to 100% right before I leave. I have Schedule Charging set to off as well.
1709062012671.png

Reactions: someguywithcar
I'm on my third Tesla and I've yet to figure out Scheduled Departure charging.
It's because Tesla's wording on those sucks and is confusing. Scheduled departure is not a charging setting. It's for cabin warming.
I have off-peak charging turned off.
Then you have the setting disabled for setting an end time for charging. That's what the badly named "off peak" setting is.
Yes, I'm trying to get Scheduled Departure to work. Right now, it just starts charging when I plug it in.
The charge settings you get to choose from are EITHER picking a start time or an end time.
The start time setting is sensibly named start charging.
The end time setting is the one that says "off peak", where you set the cheaper off peak times for your electricity, and it will try to finish charging at the end of that window.

Departure time is just warming the cabin to make you comfortable when you are ready to get in the car.

I use the charging start time, because it's obvious what it does, and it always does exactly what it says.

The end time setting is the one that says "off peak", where you set the cheaper off peak times for your electricity, and it will try to finish charging at the end of that window.

Departure time is just warming the cabin to make you comfortable when you are ready to get in the car.
Actually, if departure time is a little earlier than the off-peak end time, it will finish by the departure time. I tested it out; as an example my off peak is set at at 0700 but I typically have departure set for 0430 and it is ready by then every day.

...which is even more confusing.
Meh, sort of.

I think the app is written with the idea/assumption that your off-peak hours are overnight, ending at some point in the morning, and you are able to charge sufficiently fast (L2) that you don't need to be actively charging all the time. The car will therefore start charging such that it is finished by the earlier of the specified departure or off-peak times. If you have "odd" off-peak times (e.g. middle of afternoon due to solar production or something) and/oror a strange schedule like third shift, all bets are off.

I agree, this could be done better, but this is what it seems to work by.