Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2FA troubles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb issue, I haven't found neither here or on google someone reporting the same one.
So I setup my account to use 2FA last week, frorm my phone. Installed Google Authenticator app. Worked fine.

Today, I wanted to check my account from my phone's Internet Browser, but none of the codes generated by the google app worked. I had to consume a Backup pass code...

So I did go to the time sync up in the settings of google authenticator, but did not work.
When I set this up last week, I was in a different time zone that I am now. I hope the passcodes get generated based on universal time (not local !). Still, I tried to set my phone back to the time shift I was when I set this up. No success...
Tried to add my laptop using QR code which I scanned from the app. Got message telling me "you already have an account with this name". OK got 2 different passcodes for my Tesla account, why not... But neither code does work, neither on the laptop, not on the phone's browser.
Giving up, consumes yet another backup passcode and disabled 2FA.
But I'd be interested if anyone would give me some hints to re-enable it.
Thanks !

OK, ended up:
1- use a backup passcode to get back to my account
2- Turn off 2FA
3- Turn it back on

All went ok this time (well, last week all was looking good too...).
Was able to add both my phone and my laptop as passcode providers (google authenticator on the phone and Authy on win 10).
All looks good so far...

Haven't had much success with my post :) lol

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin