Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting emergency help in early MS with MCU2 without cell phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone else has been in this situation--not having a cell phone and encountering a mechanical failure/flat tire and being stranded. I was once in a non-emergency situation like this (I was waiting in a parking lot for the wife and realized I had no phone to contact her) and discovered logging in to email from the Tesla web browser didn't work because of 2FA. Today I forgot my cell phone at home and my commute is 35 miles through some desolate areas. What would you do in this situation? Register a new email account and send your family member a text via email? Curious for suggestions.

(1) Cellular Apple Watch assuming you have cellular service nearby. Useful if you keep forgetting your iPhone at home. Just don't forget your Apple Watch at home.
(2) Get an iPhone 14 and use the emergency SOS feature if you are stranded without cell service. Use Emergency SOS via satellite on your iPhone 14
(3) Have one of these handy. https://www.amazon.com/acr-ResQLink...mzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

Note 1: The condition you speak of (ie, mechanical failure and being out of signal coverage) is NOT a Tesla issue. That can happen with any car.
Note 2: Consider training yourself to take your iPhone 14 at all times so that you have access to the emergency SOS feature to call for help when a situation calls for it
Note 3: Consider changing your route if you're worried about getting stranded in an area that is not frequent by other, and without cellular coverage.

(1) Cellular Apple Watch assuming you have cellular service nearby. Useful if you keep forgetting your iPhone at home. Just don't forget your Apple Watch at home.
(2) Get an iPhone 14 and use the emergency SOS feature if you are stranded without cell service. Use Emergency SOS via satellite on your iPhone 14
(3) Have one of these handy. https://www.amazon.com/acr-ResQLink-400-Personal-Locator/dp/B07V6CWS26/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2QNMWGDN8L0T8&keywords=Emergency+beacon&qid=1687537636&sprefix=emergency+beaco,aps,186&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

Note 1: The condition you speak of (ie, mechanical failure and being out of signal coverage) is NOT a Tesla issue. That can happen with any car.
Note 2: Consider training yourself to take your iPhone 14 at all times so that you have access to the emergency SOS feature to call for help when a situation calls for it
Note 3: Consider changing your route if you're worried about getting stranded in an area that is not frequent by other, and without cellular coverage.

Thanks for your reply. I was actually kicking myself for not having activated my Apple Watch Ultra's cellular option. But just to clarify, the cell signal is strong throughout my commute. I was referring to attempting to communicate with the outside world through the Tesla's screen, likely via the web browser.

Reactions: QUBO
Just curious if anyone else has been in this situation--not having a cell phone and encountering a mechanical failure/flat tire and being stranded. I was once in a non-emergency situation like this (I was waiting in a parking lot for the wife and realized I had no phone to contact her) and discovered logging in to email from the Tesla web browser didn't work because of 2FA. Today I forgot my cell phone at home and my commute is 35 miles through some desolate areas. What would you do in this situation? Register a new email account and send your family member a text via email? Curious for suggestions.

I would plan for this the same way I would plan for it in a car that did not have browser capability etc. Meaning "I drive a Tesla" should have absolutely, positively, unequivocally ZERO to do with ANY solution to this you are considering.

I would probably buy a smart watch with cellular capability to carry along with my phone, like the new apple watch ultra, that is sort of made with the idea of camping / hiking etc connectivity in mind.

"Tesla" has zero to do with this and should not play into any decision around "mechanical failure / being stranded". Just because a car has connectivity, it should not be relied upon for something like this (even as a thought experiment).

I would plan for this the same way I would plan for it in a car that did not have browser capability etc. Meaning "I drive a Tesla" should have absolutely, positively, unequivocally ZERO to do with ANY solution to this you are considering.

I would probably buy a smart watch with cellular capability to carry along with my phone, like the new apple watch ultra, that is sort of made with the idea of camping / hiking etc connectivity in mind.

"Tesla" has zero to do with this and should not play into any decision around "mechanical failure / being stranded". Just because a car has connectivity, it should not be relied upon for something like this (even as a thought experiment).
I'm more asking for my commute home today. Of course I will be activating my watch's cell service when I get home. And of course I wouldn't plan on relying on the car's connectivity for help but this situation will happen to someone eventually. I was surprised to find that cursory searching on this forum didn't bring up any relevant hits for this situation.

Im not, because this isnt a car thing at all, even though you seem to be trying to make it one.
Well thanks for your help lol. If my car fails on my commute home I guess I will go with my original and sole idea to make a new email account and email a text (phone number @vtext.com for Verizon customers) to my wife from the web browser.

Reactions: QUBO
Well thanks for your help lol. If my car fails on my commute home I guess I will go with my original and sole idea to make a new email account and email a text (phone number @vtext.com for Verizon customers) to my wife from the web browser.

Or, since it sounds like you already have an apple watch ultra, and obviously have connectivity where you are right now, you could contact your significant other where your phone is, and walk them through activating the cellular option on your watch right now, presuming you have your watch with you.

Im not, because this isnt a car thing at all, even though you seem to be trying to make it one.

Yep practically speaking there isn't really a Tesla-specific way to handle this situation.

To OP: Just do whatever you'd do if you were driving a "normal" car (like say, my 2005 Prius, which had no connectivity whatsoever). Are you good driving those 35 miles with no comms? If you are, then great, happy trails. If not, plot out an alternate route, or figure out some intermediate points where you can use a payphone or something to check in with your wife. It's really up to you because nobody knows your exact situation, how you would evaluate whatever risks there are, etc.

Bruce.

PS. Well I guess there's one Tesla capability that might be useful...if you wife has the Tesla app she can see where your car is. If your car stops moving for some extended period of time, that might be a potential sign you need some help.

Personally I wouldn't worry and would go home. How many times has your car just stopped dead in it's tracks? If it's that bad a situation and you get a flat, then just drive slow. You'll probably kill the tire and/or wheel, but should still make it...

If you are that worried and are currently in an area with stores, you could just buy a cheap phone and take it with you. Maybe put a $5/month plan on it and leave it in the car for future problems.

If you're really asking, I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with no one around, but a cell signal to the car and a working browser and no other cell devices then yeah, I'd be trying to find a site that would allow me to send something out...

Personally I wouldn't worry and would go home. How many times has your car just stopped dead in it's tracks? If it's that bad a situation and you get a flat, then just drive slow. You'll probably kill the tire and/or wheel, but should still make it...

If you are that worried and are currently in an area with stores, you could just buy a cheap phone and take it with you. Maybe put a $5/month plan on it and leave it in the car for future problems.

If you're really asking, I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with no one around, but a cell signal to the car and a working browser and no other cell devices then yeah, I'd be trying to find a site that would allow me to send something out...

After the shock wore off that I had left my phone at home this morning I was just pondering what I would do in the statistically unlikely situation of a break down. The car has been extremely reliable with zero stranding issues over 156k miles. But, since the battery and motor warranty are expired it's definitely been at the back of my mind.

I wonder how we handled such things before we all carried personal communications devices with us 24 hours a day…
Hmmm... I recall walking on occasion... Payphones, but those are just about non-existent these days...
But if you're truly in an area where you are 35 miles away from any civilization and no one goes past for days that would be pretty rough if you really got stuck...

If you can use the web browser then you can send an email or twit to someone, provided that person has access to the app and find out your location, otherwise there are mini satellite communicators that are used by hikers and campers for years in remote area for emergency communication/check in …