Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$326 (inc tax) for Homelink AND it's not a S/W upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has to pay licencing fees for every vehicle delivered with it. Homelink issn't some generic term. So if they can save money on removing it, they will do it. Same reason why the dead peddle was removed, frunk clips, alcantara headliner, etc.

Yeah, it can seem petty, but Tesla needs to fight for survival. They have like 90% debt and almost always operate at a loss. They only just managed to turn that around, stuff like this helps to that goal.

So bizarre that not only do they not include this most basic tech feature every car in the world has but they are charging $326 and it's not even a simple software upgrade? It's an actual piece of hardware that only Tesla service can install? What a hassle! Sorry for venting, I'm just extremely surprised on all fronts.

The rationale (which I'm not defending, just suggesting) is probably that many owners are in apartments etc which are rarely homelink enabled, and Tesla have to pay license fees etc for homelink. So better to charge only for those that need it. Not sure I really agree on a car at this price point, but it's what it is.

I had a lot of boxes delivered at once, totally did not read the sign, because I'm stupid, opened the box saw what it was, resealed it. I think I will chat with the tech. Thanks for the heads up!!!
I did the same thing, opening the box without even looking at the large orange sticker. I sealed it back up with clear packing tape making it look like it was never opened and they installed the unit without asking about the package.

The rationale (which I'm not defending, just suggesting) is probably that many owners are in apartments etc which are rarely homelink enabled, and Tesla have to pay license fees etc for homelink. So better to charge only for those that need it. Not sure I really agree on a car at this price point, but it's what it is.

Yes, and it would be very easy to give the option during the order process to add the device so that it can be delivered pre-installed.

I did the same thing, opening the box without even looking at the large orange sticker. I sealed it back up with clear packing tape making it look like it was never opened and they installed the unit without asking about the package.
So, what's inside? Is there really a module or is it just a rock and the mobile tech flips a switch in the s/w?

So, what's inside? Is there really a module or is it just a rock and the mobile tech flips a switch in the s/w?
It's the actual Homelink module and it does need to be physically installed in the car for Homelink to work. I've heard that some people have done the installation themselves but I wasn't brave enough to attempt that so I had Tesla do the job. Installation is essentially covered in the Homelink module cost if you buy the unit from Tesla.

In California (where there are clearly at lot of Teslas) garages are often NOT used for cars. I would bet Tesla has the data on usage rate of Homelink from when it was standard. I would not be at all surprised if it turns out to be single digits. Clearly for a chunk of the customer base it is irrelevant, they don't have a garage door they need opened. People don't set the clocks on their microwaves and that's normally much easier that programming Homelink. To program Homelink you need an existing garage door opener. Quite likely that opener was already programmed for their door so that person has to be motivated to program Homelink on their car. Also, almost certainly, Homelink was charging for every module installed even it wasn't activated. This makes the current situation logical even though it is annoying to those of us that like having Homelink.

Reactions: drtimhill
Velcro to the back of my touchscreen, cost $15.

Attachments

• 32F74B96-3293-430A-921E-765190EAD769.jpeg
    32F74B96-3293-430A-921E-765190EAD769.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 58
In California (where there are clearly at lot of Teslas) garages are often NOT used for cars. I would bet Tesla has the data on usage rate of Homelink from when it was standard. I would not be at all surprised if it turns out to be single digits. Clearly for a chunk of the customer base it is irrelevant, they don't have a garage door they need opened. People don't set the clocks on their microwaves and that's normally much easier that programming Homelink. To program Homelink you need an existing garage door opener. Quite likely that opener was already programmed for their door so that person has to be motivated to program Homelink on their car. Also, almost certainly, Homelink was charging for every module installed even it wasn't activated. This makes the current situation logical even though it is annoying to those of us that like having Homelink.

Yes, Californians are kind of weird that way. $150,000 worth of cars parked outside in the sun and $1,000 worth of junk protected in the garage.

It's the actual Homelink module and it does need to be physically installed in the car for Homelink to work. I've heard that some people have done the installation themselves but I wasn't brave enough to attempt that so I had Tesla do the job. Installation is essentially covered in the Homelink module cost if you buy the unit from Tesla.
I am not advocating for a personal install (and in fact I am waiting to have mine installed) but just wanted to share this. I had to have a mobile ranger come out and connect my washer fluid hose and he gave me a tour of what was under the frunk cowling

Circled in yellow is where the homelink module plugs in, and it is then run down to where his hand is (yellow half circle), more about where his forearm would be, through an oval and secured to the bumper.

Circled in green is the heat pump and the black coarse material is the heat pump cover.

Attachments

• Inked20200721_140427_LI (2).jpg
    Inked20200721_140427_LI (2).jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 57