Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

35 days without Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are away for 35 days and the car is unplugged make sure sentry mode and overheat protection is off (overheat is active for a limited time only anyway, 12 hrs I believe).

In this scenario, the car should lose more or less 1% a day. So 35%. I would plan on losing 50% to be on the safe side. I would charge it to 80% and just let it sleep. Also make sure no app will wake it up.

Plan on going overseas next year for about 35 days. Whatshould I do about charging to protect my Model 3 LR?
Charlie

I live in Australia but go to Europe often for a month or so.
Car will be completely fine. Either plug it in and dont worry or leave it unplugged and turn sentry off. Overheat protection doesnt matter as it only works for 24 hours. Some people like to power the car down via the option menu.

Power consumption while asleep for long time is irrelevant (1-5w/hour), the only limiting process is that the car will have to wake up for 90min or so every 2-3 days to recharge the 12V battery where it uses obviously 250-300w while its awake.
I'd plan for 1-3km/day (1% every couple of days or so). But depends on the software version.

I Like to charge to 75% before I leave it to go slumber until I am back and remove the Tesla app from my desktop so you dont accidentially wake it.

If you want to see what the car is up to get teslafi which will recieve info from the car when it wakes.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Does leaving Bluetooth on on your phone have any affect to the car sleeping? Should I consciously turn off Bluetooth once I'm in the house? I drive the car once a week.

No. Bluetooth does not drain power from the car.

Plan on going overseas next year for about 35 days. Whatshould I do about charging to protect my Model 3 LR?
Charlie

If you have a charger, set the car to 50% and leave it plugged it. If you don't have a charger, turn sentry mode and overheat protection off, and don't use the Tesla app. Using the app will wake the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
upload_2020-9-13_12-48-53.png

A note on this, I left the car with 75% battery and the charging level slider at 70% and plugged it in, and scheduled charging for 1am, I have a separate meter that is dedicated to the charger and it never used any power over the 10 days so unless your planing on using sentry or cabin overheat chances are you don’t really need to plug it in, I don’t know what the dead band is for kicking on charging but I assume its a few percent, so unless I have to leave the car for months I won’t plug it in in the future.

Reactions: Darmie
A note on this, I left the car with 75% battery and the charging level slider at 70% and plugged it in, and scheduled charging for 1am, I have a separate meter that is dedicated to the charger and it never used any power over the 10 days so unless your planing on using sentry or cabin overheat chances are you don’t really need to plug it in, I don’t know what the dead band is for kicking on charging but I assume its a few percent, so unless I have to leave the car for months I won’t plug it in in the future.
I would agree to your thoughts. When we lived out of state for work, My wife only had a 6 mile commute so we only charged once a week. For most that question, there are the simple ABC's about electric vehicle ownership. Always Be Charging.