Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D Printable Wireless Charging Pad Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this on another message board but wanted to have you guys covered as well.

If you're tired of waiting for a decent wireless charging solution or don't want to overpay for a piece of neoprene, I have a 3D printable pad design here that is compatible with the following Amazon Qi Charger (seems to be the same one that RPM Tesla ships with).

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Cha...56387&sr=8-12&keywords=slim+qi&tag=tv-auto-20

The charging pad's design is a remix from Adafruit's design (credit given on Thingiverse). I just made it thinner and work with two Amazon chargers.

There are two designs available on Thingiverse - one is a single-piece design and another is a two-piece design (for easier installation). Both designs work the same.

Links:
Tesla Model 3 Qi Wireless Charging Pad for Amazon Ultra Slim 0.14" chargers by chilman408
Tesla Model 3 Qi Wireless Charging Pad (2-Piece) for Amazon Ultra Slim 0.14" chargers by chilman408

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Single.jpg
    Single.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Dual.jpg
    Dual.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: Legolas and Andrew
There are a lot of places where you can get these printed but I can't vouch for them as I haven't use it myself. Thingiverse offers printing services, 3Dhubs offers printing services and you can find printing services on ebay as well.

As for using the original Tesla dock mat, it wont work. Here is why - there are 4 posts used for alignment on the Tesla dock mat - in my design, I used 2 for the bracket and 2 for the mat.

FYI, I printed off this version made by someone else and it works well:
Tesla Model 3 Dual Wireless Charging Pad (Charger Not Included) by justbcoolr

I like the divider on the model above, as it means things don't slide around as much.

Looks like I overpaid for the Qi chargers... as the ones you link (at $6/piece) seem identical to the ones I paid $13/apiece for. Ouch.

Either way, these need to be printed on flexible filament unless you want the phone to slide around like crazy. This stuff is a pain to print. My total print time was ~36 hours for both parts above.

Reactions: chilman408
FYI, I printed off this version made by someone else and it works well:
Tesla Model 3 Dual Wireless Charging Pad (Charger Not Included) by justbcoolr

I like the divider on the model above, as it means things don't slide around as much.

Looks like I overpaid for the Qi chargers... as the ones you link (at $6/piece) seem identical to the ones I paid $13/apiece for. Ouch.

Either way, these need to be printed on flexible filament unless you want the phone to slide around like crazy. This stuff is a pain to print. My total print time was ~36 hours for both parts above.

Hi Kirby
This looks really good. Can you let me know if you printed this yourself or got this printed elsewhere. If so, can you share the site and price you paid? I think this charger pad can be covered w/ matching console wrap skins, and give a more finished appearance. The 2nd latching piece could be made more rectangular to ease the wrapping process.

Also, did you connect the chargers to front 2 USB ports, or routed them from the cigarette lighter port to get fast-charge capability?

Hi Kirby
This looks really good. Can you let me know if you printed this yourself or got this printed elsewhere. If so, can you share the site and price you paid? I think this charger pad can be covered w/ matching console wrap skins, and give a more finished appearance. The 2nd latching piece could be made more rectangular to ease the wrapping process.

Also, did you connect the chargers to front 2 USB ports, or routed them from the cigarette lighter port to get fast-charge capability?

I printed them myself. I assume price you'd pay is going to be kind of high since this requires slow printing (i.e. long) and the material is relatively expensive. A usual 1kg reel of filament is ~$20, whereas good quality TPU is ~$30/kg.

I'm just using the front ports. Works fine since I'm not using the phone while it's in the dock. Honestly, I wouldn't want to cover this with wrap material since that would remove the logo embossing you get front the printing offset. Yeah, it's not perfectly finished, but it still looks pretty damn good (IMO) when I print mine on glass. Plus, having it be the same material look as the wrap would be kind of weird.

• Informative
Reactions: Legolas