Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Party Supercharger Access - in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it will be a while.
They need to test with various car types and see the impact of cars with different plug positions.

Albeit our govt via Arena does provide funding grants for EV chargers, so Tesla may look to apply in the next round (whenever that is which is likely to be regions focussed) and that would require those new sites be open access.

australia needs to actually get a proper supercharger network first.

Yeah, It is a little slow going down here. There are some great Supercharger locations, some terrible locations, and many ovious missing spots. But, I could see an open supercharger network really helping EV adoption in Australia. If you can confirm your particular EV works with Tesla stalls, you can be pretty condident of finding working charger where ever you travel.

Some cars have the charge ports in a location that probably isn't going to work with a supercharger. Taycan for example would be a stretch.
Taycan (Front Right for DC) is fine - they just go front in.

It's the cars that are Front Left or Back Right that are more problematic with the current cable length.

From other threads.
6D17DCF7-B13D-4261-9F47-34E48A785E7A.png

• Informative
Reactions: bay74
Yes, back right would effectively utilise two parking/charge spots as indeed has been happening with the Netherlands open EV trials.

Personally, I think Tesla may need to not allow vehicles that don't have the charge port in a suitable location. This may even lead to a charge port standardisation going forward. Not exactly sure how that would be implemented however, as it doesn't sounds like VIN number reading is standard for all EVs.

Going forward Tesla would have to think of having a more universal stall should this become part of their standard offering. Plenty of new interesting videos on YouTube anyway. One from a Porsche Taycan connected to a V3 that confirms V3 cannot offer 800v. Max charging rate was approx 125kW.