Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla also now magically has a 289 mile Model Y that they apparently have applied to offer for consumers. People are assuming this might be the 4680..if that is so, that battery is going the wrong way on range. Need to read more on the 4680, a lot of hoopla over it...not sure why.

All I've read about is that it can "Save" money.....haha...yeah right. This is utter nonsense. When Tesla keeps jacking up the prices of their cars by thousands every 3 months. So much for gas and money savings about some great new battery. A lot of hype and no real savings on a $60K+ car on the low end now with Tesla.

Tesla I predict is going to end up losing market share when the rest of the makers decide to actually produce something and people really start to demand cars that are reasonably priced to comparable petrol vehicles and the infrastructure meets demand along with it.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike and Brando
Counting the cells from images and video at gigs rodeo the 4680 structural pack is divided into four segments with 207 cells each for a total cell count of 828 cells and total cell volume 2.8% greater than the 2170 based packs. I’d hoped for a bigger volume increase.

Tesla also now magically has a 289 mile Model Y that they apparently have applied to offer for consumers. People are assuming this might be the 4680..if that is so, that battery is going the wrong way on range

First it is 279 miles of range. And it isn't going the wrong way, they are just using a smaller pack so they can produce more vehicles with the supply of batteries that they currently have available. (And because of the weight savings it is slightly more efficient than the Long Range Model Y.)

It will be interesting to see how it actually performs. (Actual efficiency and the charging curve.)

Tesla I predict is going to end up losing market share when the rest of the makers decide to actually produce something and people really start to demand cars that are reasonably priced to comparable petrol vehicles and the infrastructure meets demand along with it.
We don't even know how much this new Model Y Standard Dual Motor vehicle is going to cost yet. But surely it will be less than the Long Range...