Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is causing the limited tow capability of the new Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the video (I time stamped it above) they call out thst it displays both numbers. If the EPA range estimate offends, it can be switched to SOC so only the continuously updated nav version is shown. Problem solved?
No. Not problem solved. Not at all. The big ass number on the display is a lie. A fairytale. Something the vehicle is unable to achieve even on a sunny day on the flat higways of Kansas. How are you not understanding this?!

No. Not problem solved. Not at all. The big ass number on the display is a lie. A fairytale. Something the vehicle is unable to achieve even on a sunny day on the flat higways of Kansas. How are you not understanding this?!

Faster Charging. More Chargers. Range Extender. Work closer to home. Aerodynamic Trailers. Multiple Wraps. Software Updates. Paid Shills.

Anything….. except call out Tesla to go back to the drawing board and put something out that’s not mid pack at best.

Reactions: TessP100D
After seeing the pricing and actual specs, I have to say, this was a bad crash and burn. The top model can go 0-60 in 2.6 seconds, but that's not what people buy trucks for. So I wanted your thoughts on what potentially went wrong with some of these items.

First: Tow capacity. For $100k, I expected it to be competing with Ford F-250 at the minimum. I mean people with trucks (outside of the kids who get them to lift them and go off roading) are using them for construction and towing. Proof of concept was given with the Tesla Semi's. I think that increased our hope that these things would be beast mode, yet all 3 models of truck have a cap of 11k tow capacity. Initially, I thought it would because of the motor gear ratio and thought that maybe they should have a gear box on the motors with one set for towing and the other set for casual driving. But then it dawned on me. The Ford F series trucks are all solid steel box frames. I'm guessing that Tesla went with another material to lighten the weight, but in doing so, they removed the ability to do things that trucks are designed to do. Anyone know what the frame is made of? Perhaps Aluminum?

Second: Weight capacity. Do you believe this is a possible frame issue as well, or something to do with how much weight with the truck and batteries combined with the load capability of the suspension? Or perhaps it's a Class-C drivers limit for GVWR because the Cybertruck weights more than a regular truck? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I noticed the "option" for an extended range battery on the mid and top tier models of the Cybertruck to get better than 340/320mile range, (I think the extended range listed 470/440mile range) but couldn't find any details as to whether that was yet an available option, something you could add at a later date, and what the price was. Anyone else dig up any details on it?

Not complicated
CT Battery 123kw 97 miles 11K payload
R1T battery 140 110 miles 11K payload

With Gen 3a 4680 and range pack
My 11K CT towing range est is 160 miles
Math 470 x 1.1 gen 3a gain x 0.3 11K impact
At this point 3a 2024 will lead past R1T and F150

Not complicated

No it won’t.

Looks like you want to be proven wrong again.

Just admit that Tesla needs to put out a better product.

Not complicated

It's the combination of things. Tesla clearly wasn't serious about the CT being anything more (at least in this first pass) than a toy. If you get the range extender (~50Kwh), then V2 supercharging 0-80% would be 2hours and 40min! V3 supercharging would still be over an hour! Where are the 800v chargers? Why aren't new chargers, put in over the last three years, trailer friendly? Towing was the last thing on Tesla's mind with this truck. They chose aesthetics over true function.

They lied about the range (EPA is at least partially to blame here too) and then advertise this thing in a way it will never actually be used. That's the problem.

If you get the range extender (~50Kwh), then V2 supercharging 0-80% would be 2hours and 40min! V3 supercharging would still be over an hour!
Gonna need to show your work on that claim.
123kWh + 50kWh = 173kWh * 80% = 138kW 2.67 hours would mean an average charge rate of 52kWh.

Rate increases with pack size to the limits of cell or EVSE. You are projecting a 0.3C average charge rate.

Reactions: doghousePVD
And the navigation planner takes the load into account, but the upper left range estimation doesn't. 12 minutes in:

View attachment 1010434
I think what some were hoping for was more focus on the towing use case overall. It's clearly not been a real focus area - which kinda makes sense to me as I think Tesla realized early on that unless they could deliver a truck with over 500 miles of EPA range - then towing/hauling wasn't really going to be in the cards when it comes to appealing to this market segment. My overall sense is that once Tesla realized they weren't going to be able to deliver a variant with 500 miles day one - they shifted their focus to other features/functions and weren't really focused on towing/hauling - as is clearly evidenced by the fact that the range extender isn't even available yet (estimated to be late 2024 - more likely 2025 in reality for the vast majority of those who have ordered the range extender - which apparently now requires an additional $500 deposit).

I'm not sure if the "trailer mode" with Tesla has competitive features similar to what Ford has on the F150L for example. Those who tow with the F150L almost always have the scales and smart hitch option added to their configuration. It's a really nice feature video linked below for anyone who doesn't know about it and how it actually works:

Using Ford's trailer mode - you actually enter the weight of the trailer and it calculates the tongue weight and then assists the owner in ensuring the trailer is properly balanced for ideal towing performance. It also adjusts the estimated range automatically based upon this data via the Intelligent Range System:

1705782469070.png

This is important as not everyone wants to enter a navigation destination when towing/hauling. This is likely why some folks are stating that Tesla really hasn't really thought this through prior to going to market with the CT. I suspect the software will be updated over time to deliver functionality like this - perhaps when the range extender actually comes to market for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: sublimejackman
Gonna need to show your work on that claim.
123kWh + 50kWh = 173kWh * 80% = 138kW 2.67 hours would mean an average charge rate of 52kWh.

Rate increases with pack size to the limits of cell or EVSE. You are projecting a 0.3C average charge rate.
In ideal conditions, at a V2 supercharger, it could charge at 125kw during its peak to 70% or .7C. Then down to 100kw to 80%. That's ideal. Everything would have to be perfect. And during that totally not long period of time, if someone parks in the B stall, while you're in A (which will happen at most chargers in 2024), that number drops to .3C (again, at best).

Also, don't take my word for it. An owner of a Cybertruck said: "The drivers say that charging at V2 Superchargers is very slow and that it can take up to two hours to replenish the battery, while the newer V3 stalls do a better job but charging to 70% still takes over an hour."

Last edited:
I think what some were hoping for was more focus on the towing use case overall. It's clearly not been a real focus area - which kinda makes sense to me as I think Tesla realized early on that unless they could deliver a truck with over 500 miles of EPA range - then towing/hauling wasn't really going to be in the cards when it comes to appealing to this market segment. My overall sense is that once Tesla realized they weren't going to be able to deliver a variant with 500 miles day one - they shifted their focus to other features/functions and weren't really focused on towing/hauling - as is clearly evidenced by the fact that the range extender isn't even available yet (estimated to be late 2024 - more likely 2025 in reality for the vast majority of those who have ordered the range extender - which apparently now requires an additional $500 deposit).
Exactly. Tesla must have realized this very early on and just skipped towing. I'm guessing that design and using the cheaper cells were hard requirements and everything else was worked around those constraints.

Maybe later variants will do a better job? Not sure if sacrificing the bed for towing makes too much sense either, so I'd be surprised if the range extender ever materializes.

More towing with the Cybertruck. How much of a range increase could you get in warmer Weather with smaller Tires?

Wow……

AS tires will make a difference, but it’s what your towing that makes efficiency worse.

I’m assuming there will be a new market to come out of this, which I believe some are already working on because this is not going to work.

Unfortunately it looks like on that forum people are more concerned with vehicle wraps and PPF

Reactions: TessP100D
My 2016 Wrangler unlimited with 35” Bridgestone KM3 mud terrain tires got 12 MPG with a 22 gal tank and not towing, range 264 miles
If I towed anything, my mpg would drop to 9-10
Range 198 miles
Mud terrain tires were amazing off road but noisy on streets
Those buying a CT, just be aware that utility is rhe goal not mpg and range

Cyberbeast towing
This was going to be my exact use case. I could probably stomach stopping every 90min to charge. It's the fact that I would need to drop the trailer, charge for 60-120min, then reattach the trailer. Man... I really hope they start taking towing seriously. Maybe I can pick up a used CT or Rivian in 3-5 years. For now, Diesel is the way.

Not complicated

Oh stop With the Gen…what ever batteries. Gen 107-32a. Who cares it’s what is being delivered now and the batteries suck

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD