Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.12.1 = Daily MCU Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my car is now in the SC to look at my Spotify issues and a few other more minor gremlins. The loaner I have is a Model S 75D (very nice drive actually and plenty quick enough as a daily driver).

The first day I had the loaner Spotify behaved itself completely and I started thinking there must be a fault on my own car. But after a few days it is now crashing like a trooper just like mine does! I'm starting to think it's because my house is in a signal blackspot and somehow this corrupts the memory after repeatedly going in and out of signal every day. Now it requires the obligatory reboot pretty much every time I leave the house. It's on the same software level as my car too, which is by far the worst it's ever been. At least now I'm pretty confident I don't have a hardware fault.

A quick chat with the technician suggested that they all do this on the current software and Tesla are "working on it", but he couldn't offer any guarantee of a fix other than checking my hardware is all functioning properly. He was intrigued about my own playlists causing the whole MCU to freeze, so that could well be a separate issue to the general Spotify hang-ups. They are looking into that for me too. The other snippet was that he said that the Tesla Spotify App was written by a third party (presumably Spotify) and that was causing a delay in resolving the issues, but I'm not sure if that was his personal view or a real fact.

Anyway I'm not holding my breath for a solution on the next update, but it can only improve from here! If they can at least get it back to later V8 levels of functionality, that would be a good start.

I have been having this issue for a few months now, Spotify was never perfect but now it's a disaster.

Yep, that's exactly what mine did. Deleting all my own playlists (a laborious task) at least prevented the whole MCU from freezing up, but the Spotify App still freezes regularly and then requires a reboot anyway. It's a real mess right now with this software.

I got my car back from the SC on Friday and it updated to 2018.50.6 when I got home (not at the SC)

So far (3 days now) Spotify has been working 100% reliably and even my saved playlists are functioning again - although I've been scared to use them much! Just tried selecting a couple of saved artists and the MCU didn't freeze this time and the song lists actually worked! Featured playlists and search engine are all good and responsive, as are the recents lists - which I've now got used to using as my primary music selection ever since my personal lists kept freezing the MCU.

Fingers crossed this is a genuine fix, but I've been here before on earlier levels of V9 where it has worked okay for a week or so and then reverted to crashing again. So I'm not celebrating just yet, but at least there is some hope this time.

Just to throw in another variable, I happened to change my home Wifi network last week and haven't re-connected it to my car yet. It could be a coincidence, but I'm finding that Spotify is working much better when leaving home, even with a very weak mobile signal. So I'm wondering if part of my previous issue had anything to do with it swapping from mobile to wifi signal and back as I often had to reboot it when leaving home to wake Spotify up again. Since it's working I'm not planning to connect to wifi for now!

Anyone else on 2018.50.6 yet and if so is it working for you?

Reactions: OPRCE
Spotify is still working today, but I got the mysterious "immersive sound" 3 setting option "off", "standard" and "high" in place of the usual Dolby surround on/off option. I've had this before in earlier versions of V9 and it happens randomly without an MCU reboot or software upgrade. Is Tesla messing around with their own alternative to Dolby or is this some kind of weird bug? Whatever it is, the 3 immersive sound settings have no effect whatsoever on the sound, so the settings are inactive.

Anyone else seen this one before? Oh well at least the music is still actually playing!

Edit: a quick Google search suggests the new "immersive sound" settings may be exclusively for MCU2, so could be a bug appearing randomly with my MCU1. Others seem to agree that the different settings are inactive, but that could be because MCU1 doesn't support it. It's another annoyance as I much preferred Dolby switched on for the bulk of my listening and it now effectively has that switched off permanently - or at least until the Dolby option randomly appears again.

I'm guessing maybe the software does an MCU check on start up and then loads the relevant sound option page, but sometimes gets it wrong!

Last edited:
Well that's now a whole week of Spotify working reliably with no hang-ups at all. I can browse all my playlists and it is all super responsive. Wow!
I'm going to be very reluctant to update the software next time in case the next level un-fixes it - which from past experience is a very real possibility!

In other news the web browser doesn't work at all now, but I can live with that. It was rubbish anyway and they might as well just get rid of it to free up some memory.

On 2019.4.3 now and again experiencing hung MCU when getting in the car, can't enter my pin code, not sure it is related to Spotify this time.

Oh FFS!
Actually I disabled PIN to drive because of previous MCU freeze ups, just so I can get going quicker if it happens!

I'm going to skip this update while I'm enjoying a fully functioning Spotify and no MCU freezes!

On 2018.50.6 and still being kicked out of Spotify regularly. Takes several re-boots to get past the login screen, then works for the rest of the day then crashes showing spinning arrow.

Oh dear! Are you using the Tesla Spotify account or your own? MCU1 or 2?
Just trying to work out what might be different since my Spotify has been faultless on this software (MCU1 with default account). Well I say faultless, it still needs the occasional switch to Tune-in and back to clear the login screen or the spinning arrow on initial start-up. But I'm not having any of the persistent problems I had previously and haven't had to reboot once since installing 18.50.6

I do have other issues with 18.50.6 though. For example the browser doesn't work at all and the Dolby on/off randomly gets replaced by the immersive sound slider (which doesn't even work with MCU1). But I'll take these issues over a totally dysfunctional Spotify any day!

MCU1. I use my own account, but after a crash, I can’t get back into either mine or Tesla’s without a fair bit of to and fro. I have tried changing the sources and coming back to Spotify but no luck so far...

That's not good. Maybe we're not out of the woods after all and I've just been lucky. I'm going to stick on 50.6 for a while and put off any further "upgrades" for now.