Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.12.1 = Daily MCU Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad it seems to have worked for @Fellsteruk but there have only been an handful of downloads over the last week, and 49.X has come out since, but equally seems to have stalled. Hopefully something meaningful and stable is on the way.

Yes, there are a weirdly large number of software iterations floating about currently in seeming competition with one another, but in fact 48.12.2 appeared after 49.1, making it clear that developments are happening in parallel.

Anyhow, here's to 2019.2!

Reactions: DJP31
If this is a memory corruption bug, as I suspect it is, those are real pain to reliably reproduce.

I'm now pretty convinced it's a memory corruption issue. Since I cleared out my Spotify saved data as much as I could it's been faultless since (about a week now and nothing has crashed and Spotify works all the time). But I still can't clear my "followed artists" list for some reason, but at least it doesn't now crash the whole MCU. I will discuss all this with the SC when I'm due to visit in a couple of weeks.

I'm now pretty convinced it's a memory corruption issue. Since I cleared out my Spotify saved data as much as I could it's been faultless since (about a week now and nothing has crashed and Spotify works all the time).

How have you been able to delete albums? If I untick the ‘save’ button it’s still there.

How have you been able to delete albums? If I untick the ‘save’ button it’s still there.

Yeah that's the problem I had trying to delete "artists", but I was able to delete all my playlists and albums. While I was deleting stuff I noticed that many of the entries were actually flagged as unsaved, but clicking save and then unsave again got rid of them. There were a few stubborn entries that took a couple of attempts to clear. Unfortunately I couldn't get rid of my "artists" that way, but if I keep out of that page it doesn't seem to cause any issues now.

For sure deleting as many of the saved Spotify lists as I could has made the whole system work much better. It's now working as well as it did in V8 ie. still requires the odd App swap to wake Spotify up, but otherwise pretty good and I haven't had to reboot since. So it looks to me like the system memory is either badly managed or corrupted. This all happened after moving to V9 and then got worse with 48.12.

At least now I have some solid info to discuss with the SC later this month and can hopefully avoid the same issues again. If it means limiting the number of saved playlists, artists etc then I suppose I can live with that. At least the music search and featured lists all work fine. It's just a shame that the primary media app is so bug ridden and infuriating to use! It's a real shot in the foot for both Tesla and Spotify.

I’m delighted to have found this thread, I’m experiencing the exact same issues. Will contact the SC and see what can be done.

By all means do, and the more people that do the more likely something will be done. The SC can’t actually do anything other than force an update to your car, if the mothership says there is one due for your VIN.

Without doubt the Spotify bug/issue is the longest running unresolved problem (ex FSD etc of course). Every other bug whether it be charge flaps refusing to open or front parking sensors not working in the rain have been sorted. For some reason known only to Tesla this one just doesn’t get a permanent fix.

Without doubt the Spotify bug/issue is the longest running unresolved problem (ex FSD etc of course). Every other bug whether it be charge flaps refusing to open or front parking sensors not working in the rain have been sorted. For some reason known only to Tesla this one just doesn’t get a permanent fix.

Yep, way beyond a joke. For me fully integrated Spotify was one of the highlights of the car beyond the obvious EV drivetrain and I paid a *sugar* load for the premium hi-fi upgrade to get the most out of it. Having it crash pretty much every day and flaky software even when it is working (having to flick between apps to wake it up etc) is making me have second thoughts about choosing a Tesla next time round. It's not an acceptable product as it stands, but could be awesome if it just worked properly. It's by far the biggest disappointment for me so far in an otherwise amazing vehicle.

Reckon they fidlled with mine remotely after I asked them to investigate.
Not informed me of such, but suddenly the missing characters are fixed; spotify works and even ther browser works (well at least as well as it ever did).

Then it crashed again ... :oops:

Does seem to confirm my thoughts that there are one or more memory leaks that Tesla really need to get on top of.

Interestingly the car also became more confident with lane changes instead of regularly aborting part way though a change.
I have no clue. as to whether this is a NN training issue or not.

Reckon they fidlled with mine remotely after I asked them to investigate.
Not informed me of such, but suddenly the missing characters are fixed; spotify works and even ther browser works (well at least as well as it ever did).

Then it crashed again ... :oops:

Does seem to confirm my thoughts that there are one or more memory leaks that Tesla really need to get on top of.

Interestingly the car also became more confident with lane changes instead of regularly aborting part way though a change.
I have no clue. as to whether this is a NN training issue or not.

I doubt they were messing with it remotely. Mine goes through random phases of working okay for a while and then crashing again repeatedly. Memory overflow does seem like the most plausible cause of all this nonsense and would explain the inconsistencies. My Spotify has at least been workable since I flushed all my saved playlists down the pan, but still prone to crashing after any temporary loss of signal. Reboots only fix it about 50% of the time too, so can easily end up rebooting it 2 or 3 times to get it working for the rest of a trip.

Interestingly I disabled PIN entry a couple of days ago (I finally got fed up of having to re-enter the PIN every single time I opened the driver's door) and it hasn't crashed since! But I'm putting this down to coincidence for now, lol

BTW I've also had a couple of aborted lane changes recently for no good reason. But in fairness I do have to say AP is the best it's ever been overall in V9. Phantom braking is now very rare and the dreaded sudden left swerve has been fully ironed out. So now quite relaxing to cruise and no need to watch like a hawk for side roads on the left!

I have had 48.12.1 for a few months now. Initially, it was OK - I had some rendering issues a couple of times but no crashes. Now, if the car has been parked up for a day or so, I can assume the main screen will be unresponsive and I need to reset both screens.

I doubt 48.12.1 has been around for a few months, but I have found that it can behave itself for a few days and then revert to crashing again after a stop, especially overnight. Again it all points to memory issues.

Tesla really need to get their act together on these bugs and they are getting worse with V9. I certainly wouldn't tolerate the same number of issues on a desktop, laptop, tablet, phone etc. Tesla only get away with it because there is no direct competition. Right now I am willing to tolerate their bug ridden software because overall the car is still better than anything else I can think of, but if someone ever brings out a similar EV with a reliable UI then I'm going to seriously consider moving on. Luckily for Tesla that still seems like a good few years away, but it's no excuse to keep throwing out shoddy software and it certainly feeds Tesla's infamous reputation for poor quality.

Tesla really need to get their act together on these bugs and they are getting worse with V9. I certainly wouldn't tolerate the same number of issues on a desktop, laptop, tablet, phone etc. Tesla only get away with it because there is no direct competition. Right now I am willing to tolerate their bug ridden software because overall the car is still better than anything else I can think of, but if someone ever brings out a similar EV with a reliable UI then I'm going to seriously consider moving on. Luckily for Tesla that still seems like a good few years away, but it's no excuse to keep throwing out shoddy software and it certainly feeds Tesla's infamous reputation for poor quality.

100% agree, and the removal of the 75 S/X option hasn't enamored me to the brand either - I'm hoping it's short term as the current entry point at £90k without AP is crazy.

100% agree, and the removal of the 75 S/X option hasn't enamored me to the brand either - I'm hoping it's short term as the current entry point at £90k without AP is crazy.

Wow, just had a quick look and my car (except with the 100 kWh pack and no carbon trim option) would now be £103k and nearly twice as much on PCP monthly payments at 5.4% APR! That's insane and I wouldn't have taken the plunge at that price. I thought it was plenty expensive enough at £88k with a 1.5% PCP. That was genuinely competitive against the likes of a top end Volvo XC90 or mid spec Porsche Cayenne on finance.

I expect there will be new S/X base models coming along shortly and with the M3 ramp up they are probably okay with selling fewer top end cars for the time being.

I haven’t had daily MCU crashing, but am fed up with the random issues. I gave up with Fart and Romance mode as fart mode has to be re-enabled every time and Romance mode crashes the centre screen and the fails to allow me to drive again without a forced reboot.

Was early on the school run today so though we would keep warm with the fire, as soon as enabled the volume went full blast and could be turned down, the external lights came back on after I had manually turned them off, the centre screen crashed and couldn’t get out of it.

We got out and locked the car. When I got back in a frozen fire was on the screen, the heat was crazy in the car, a systems booting up message remained on main dash but nothing worked. Had to force a 2 scroll wheel reboot which then allowed me to drive away without having to wait for center screen or Pin 2 Drive (is this another bypass for P2D?).

It all came back again while driving but most annoying. When time permits i’ll have a play to see if I can replicate the P2D bypass but do hope a new update is coming soon. Give up on Spotify most of the time but now find switching between radio stations or cancelling traffic alerts delays for a few noticeable seconds

I haven’t had daily MCU crashing, but am fed up with the random issues. I gave up with Fart and Romance mode as fart mode has to be re-enabled every time and Romance mode crashes the centre screen and the fails to allow me to drive again without a forced reboot.

Was early on the school run today so though we would keep warm with the fire, as soon as enabled the volume went full blast and could be turned down, the external lights came back on after I had manually turned them off, the centre screen crashed and couldn’t get out of it.

We got out and locked the car. When I got back in a frozen fire was on the screen, the heat was crazy in the car, a systems booting up message remained on main dash but nothing worked. Had to force a 2 scroll wheel reboot which then allowed me to drive away without having to wait for center screen or Pin 2 Drive (is this another bypass for P2D?).

It all came back again while driving but most annoying. When time permits i’ll have a play to see if I can replicate the P2D bypass but do hope a new update is coming soon. Give up on Spotify most of the time but now find switching between radio stations or cancelling traffic alerts delays for a few noticeable seconds

Just to clarify on the daily MCU crashing. For me it's actually just the Spotify app that regularly crashes and then requires a full MCU reboot or two to get Spotify working again. Full-on MCU crashes are pretty rare for me, although Spotify did bring down the whole MCU regularly on 48.12.1 before I flushed out all my playlists - it hasn't brought the whole MCU down since then, but Spotify itself still crashes an awful lot.

I had the same issue with Romance mode. Worked great the first time I tried it, but the second time it froze the MCU completely and cooked the interior for good measure! Never dared to use it again after that. Fart mode was fun, but as you say it needs to be re-enabled every time you get in the car.

The only saving grace is that the driving functionality of the MCU never seems to get affected by all the other nonsense going on, otherwise I would be well out of this car by now!