Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5,000 miles through the CHAdeMO-only lands of British Columbia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bradtem

Robocar consultant
Dec 18, 2018
Sunnyvale, CA
I wrote up this trip last year but never posted about it here. Of interest to people will be that a lot of it was through regions of British Columbia where there are no superchargers, though since the trip chargers were added in a few places, like the road to Prince Rupert, and Jasper national park HQ. There are lots of CHAdeMO CCS chargers though, many of them free. In fact, on the whole trip, I spent only $100 plus 1,500 of my "free superchargng" miles to go 5,000 miles. It comes in 3 parts.

(As most will know, the CHAdeMO adapter is discontinued and expensive on eBay and we all away the arrival of the CCS adapter now for sale in Korea, and the car controller upgrade that will make this adapter work with older Teslas and some 2021 Teslas that were made without CCS support.)

I also write about non-fast charging and how you use it on a trip like this:

And finally, I did a report of what it's like to use a 12v electric fridge in your Tesla, which as an EV has enough power to run that fridge for ages, if it weren't for the fact that Tesla turns on the 250w computer so you can run the 15w (average) fridge! Arrrggggh.

Plus, to cap it off, a nice video of salmon jumping the falls on the rivers of BC. Plus, I made my TMC icon a picture of my Tesla doing its first CHAdeMO charge -- at a Petro-Can gas station.

Enjoy.

I wrote up this trip last year but never posted about it here. Of interest to people will be that a lot of it was through regions of British Columbia where there are no superchargers, though since the trip chargers were added in a few places, like the road to Prince Rupert, and Jasper national park HQ. There are lots of CHAdeMO CCS chargers though, many of them free. In fact, on the whole trip, I spent only $100 plus 1,500 of my "free superchargng" miles to go 5,000 miles. It comes in 3 parts.

(As most will know, the CHAdeMO adapter is discontinued and expensive on eBay and we all away the arrival of the CCS adapter now for sale in Korea, and the car controller upgrade that will make this adapter work with older Teslas and some 2021 Teslas that were made without CCS support.)

I also write about non-fast charging and how you use it on a trip like this:

And finally, I did a report of what it's like to use a 12v electric fridge in your Tesla, which as an EV has enough power to run that fridge for ages, if it weren't for the fact that Tesla turns on the 250w computer so you can run the 15w (average) fridge! Arrrggggh.

Plus, to cap it off, a nice video of salmon jumping the falls on the rivers of BC. Plus, I made my TMC icon a picture of my Tesla doing its first CHAdeMO charge -- at a Petro-Can gas station.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the articles - I am looking forward to exploring BC - Yukon and Alaska if I ever get the M3LR I have on order. Some of the trips you mentioned will be a good testing ground!

(Link below is for those who have access to Apple News+)

Thanks for the articles - I am looking forward to exploring BC - Yukon and Alaska if I ever get the M3LR I have on order. Some of the trips you mentioned will be a good testing ground!

(Link below is for those who have access to Apple News+)

Getting from BC to the Yukon is quite a challenge. No fast chargers. Yukon has several non Tesla fast chargers. Alaska has one supercharger and a few dc fast but no easy route to the Yukon. People have done it with overnights in RV parks etc. Or the ferry