Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 hot and fast green cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of all the cars listed, only the Tesla Roadster and Venturi Fétish are in production*. The green car industry is so depressing sometimes :(

-Ryan

* Given the glacially slow production rates of both vehicles, the term "production" must be applied loosely...

How the hell did the ZAP Alias get a suggestion as a cheaper alternative at the end (2009 availability) when it doesn't exist. Nice research (cough cough choke).

How the hell did the ZAP Alias get a suggestion as a cheaper alternative at the end (2009 availability) when it doesn't exist. Nice research (cough cough choke).

You'd be surprised (or not) on how easily the media is fooled into believing a press release means an actual car is to be released.

But to be fair, all three listed in the article:
The ZAP Alias, U.S. 2009
Toyota FT-HS, - U.S. 2009
Honda CR-Z, - E.U. 2009

were concept vehicles, so the possibility of them being released is less in the first place. And of course all of the expensive vehicles are on shaky ground for being "production" cars, as Kardax mentioned.

As for the rest of the list; it's pretty much spot on for the expensive green cars to look out for in these next few years, with the exception of sQuba, which seems to be more of an experiment than a real serious car, and maybe the Fetish, which needs an update to keep up with the times.

Some of the figures are outdated, like the 250 miles range figure for the Tesla.

You'd be surprised (or not) on how easily the media is fooled into believing a press release means an actual car is to be released.

But to be fair, all three listed in the article:
The ZAP Alias, U.S. 2009
Toyota FT-HS, - U.S. 2009
Honda CR-Z, - E.U. 2009

were concept vehicles, so the possibility of them being released is less in the first place.

The Honda and Toyota are concept cars. The Alias is just a drawing. As is the Lightning GT. (Though I expect at least one "real" one will be produced.)

They could have mentioned the T-Rex Lightning. At least that exists in some form.

Looking at the 5 cars I have to say the Lightening is the one I like the most designwise, even more than the Tesla Roadster. Of course the price makes sure I will never ever drive anything like that, but it's pretty :)
As for seriousness, I'd say the only serious one is the Roadster. Everything else is such small production runs it might as well be one-offs, or simply pure concept and no money to get it there. The only exception being the Karma which looks serious, just not their schedule.

Cobos

Personally, I think only the Tesla and Venturi are the only options I would lust after.

Being that they are both out of reach cost wise, I am hoping that one of these comes true:
I like both of those concepts (even though they are Hybrid, not all electric).
If the Toyota was available for $35K almost just like the concept I might think about getting one. If the CR-Z came in around $25K it might find me as a buyer. Hopefully they go into production and don't stray too far from the concepts.

The Fisker gets honorable mention, but I don't see myself ever getting one.

The Honda and Toyota are concept cars. The Alias is just a drawing. As is the Lightning GT. (Though I expect at least one "real" one will be produced.)

They could have mentioned the T-Rex Lightning. At least that exists in some form.

I suppose that is true, but in terms of feasibility of them being built, most concept cars are one-off things that usually aren't built so they are about as good as a picture or a model. The CR-Z may be built in the near future because Honda needs it's own dedicated hybrid to battle the prius, since the Insight is a little dated and definitely didn't sell as well as the prius. But the Toyota hybrid sports doesn't seem likely to be produced, b/c toyota showed another hybrid in 2004 called the Volta and we haven't heard any about a production version since.