Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5kW to 1kW, 114V 12/12A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

I've been lurking in the forums for some time but wanted to wait to post until I got my model 3, which I did and I absolutely love it.

Tomorrow the electrician is coming to install the wall charger with a 50 amp breaker, but my question concerns the mobile charger that came with the car.

I have had the car a week and from the beginning the car would read that 5kW was charging whenever we plugged it in at night. Yesterday morning I woke up to the car not quite charged (to the daily trip range) and my phone app and car reading only 1kw. It reads the same tonight upon charging.

Nothing has changed at all in the week we have been charging it. I phoned customer service and they said the car looks fine and its probably an electrical issue on the co-ops end. I called the co-op and they said everything was fine, and weren't concerned at all about our electrical increase (I live next to some ranches, they use a lot of electricity).

I realize it wont matter after tomorrow because the wall charger is a DC line but its currently (get it?) driving me crazy.

Your thoughts? And thank you for your time.

Greetings,

I've been lurking in the forums for some time but wanted to wait to post until I got my model 3, which I did and I absolutely love it.

Tomorrow the electrician is coming to install the wall charger with a 50 amp breaker, but my question concerns the mobile charger that came with the car.

I have had the car a week and from the beginning the car would read that 5kW was charging whenever we plugged it in at night. Yesterday morning I woke up to the car not quite charged (to the daily trip range) and my phone app and car reading only 1kw. It reads the same tonight upon charging.

Nothing has changed at all in the week we have been charging it. I phoned customer service and they said the car looks fine and its probably an electrical issue on the co-ops end. I called the co-op and they said everything was fine, and weren't concerned at all about our electrical increase (I live next to some ranches, they use a lot of electricity).

I realize it wont matter after tomorrow because the wall charger is a DC line but its currently (get it?) driving me crazy.

Your thoughts? And thank you for your time.

I assume you only charging on a normal 120 ...couple of things you don’t state what percent you set charging to , also which adaptor you are using on the UMC ...based on your description it appears to be normal household 120 and what u describe is the speed of charging ..also recommend reading this

Tesla Model 3 Home Charging Guide | TeslaTap

If you're plugged into a 120V, 15A line, it's going to charge at a maximum of 12A for a total of 1.4kW. What you were probably seeing when you plugged in is that it's charging at a rate of 5 miles/hr, which is what it gets @ 1.4kW. When your phone is reading the draw, it's probably rounding the 1.4kW down to 1kW (or assuming your lines aren't perfect, you will not get exactly 120V).

What volts and amps do you see on the charging screen?

By the way the cable you’re describing is known as the UMC, or Universal Mobile Connector. It’s not a “charger”, the charger is in the car. And no, what you’re having installed is not a “DC line”. All home charging is AC. Superchargers are DC. I assume you’re having the Wall Connector installed (again, not a charger).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you're plugged into a 120V, 15A line, it's going to charge at a maximum of 12A for a total of 1.4kW. What you were probably seeing when you plugged in is that it's charging at a rate of 5 miles/hr, which is what it gets @ 1.4kW. When your phone is reading the draw, it's probably rounding the 1.4kW down to 1kW (or assuming your lines aren't perfect, you will not get exactly 120V).

That is exactly what I was doing, I switched the 'miles left of charge' with '% battery' and failed to account for this. Thank you! Thanks all for the replies and corrections.