Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seater to 7 seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a Model S, and my wife has come around to wanting a Model X. We’re looking for used or cpo and finding that the 7 seat version we want is pretty rare.

Given that she wants a particular color and a few other options that she won’t bend on, I’m wondering if a 6 seater could be converted to a 7 seater by removing the middle row and replacing it.

Wondering is anyone has tried or knows if this is possible.

Thanks in advance.

How sure are you that you want the Tesla 7 seat configuration? I definitely wanted a 7 seat vehicle, and there are good configurations out there in SUVs, but when I settled on getting the X, I wish I would have decided 6 seats was OK. IMO, the bench 7 seat design in the X leaves too much to be desired. I would have even been happier with the pedestal style 7 seat configuration in spite of the loss of cargo space, but I think the 6 seat configuration still would have trumped it for convenience in the long run.

I hated the 6 seat configuration that we have now. It does not fold down flat
You should update your signature. I'm guessing that 2015 S70 doesn't have 6 seats. I say this because there was a time when the 7 seat configuration didn't fold flat, either, and I was curious as to whether or not you really had a fold-flat choice when you bought (I feel like it changed in July of 2017 when a lot of other things did, but I could be way off on that).

How sure are you that you want the Tesla 7 seat configuration? I definitely wanted a 7 seat vehicle, and there are good configurations out there in SUVs, but when I settled on getting the X, I wish I would have decided 6 seats was OK. IMO, the bench 7 seat design in the X leaves too much to be desired. I would have even been happier with the pedestal style 7 seat configuration in spite of the loss of cargo space, but I think the 6 seat configuration still would have trumped it for convenience in the long run.

Very personal. I had 2016 90D 7 seater with pedestal 2nd row seats. Basically this made 3rd absolutely useless with only enough room for young kids. Redesigned 2nd row bench slides forward making 3rd row nice nicer. Plus versatility is amazing. If you have kids and occasionally transport stuff nothing beats 7 seater. Also, more motors/electronics in 6 seater- more things to break if you keep the car long term. I am very happy I went with 7 seater for my second MX.

Last edited:
Reactions: candy_sr