Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disassemble middle (2nd) row bucket seat to fix seat belt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model X 6-seater: Anybody seen instructions (written or video) for how to take the middle row bucket seat apart to get to the seat belt mechanism? My belt is stuck/twisted and no amount of slow wiggling seems to be able to free it up. Tesla has quoted me $950 to 'fix' this but that's a bitter pill for something that I'm pretty sure could be DIY.

Any suggestions?

I own the same car like you and had the same issue.
Luckily for you I took a picture (notice the twisted seat belt). Note the circles. I've used a trimming tool to remove it. But be careful not to ruin the leather (put some protection between the tool and the leather).

Attachments

• 2nd row seat removed rear cover.jpg
    2nd row seat removed rear cover.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 88
Okay, I managed to figure it out just before 16MX posted his photo (but thanks!).

(This link was a bit cryptic but also at least confirmed it was an okay thing to do: Tesla Model X - Cover - Seat Back - 2nd Row - LH (Remove and Replace) - External Charging Connectors)

I used a couple of screwdrivers but accomplished the same thing - start at the top and gently pry the shiny back cover away from the seats and things will eventually pop out. Work your way down on either side. I think a couple of interior clips might've come loose or gotten broken but everything popped back into place securely once I was done so I'm not going to worry about it. Meanwhile, once the back is mostly off, the twisted seat belt was trivial to fix.

Honestly, I CANNOT BELIEVE that Tesla told me it would cost $950 for them to do this and that they couldn't send out a mobile service guy to fix it - I had to drop it off at the shop. Sheesh.

Anyway, hopefully we've managed to save someone else out there some (pretty serious) $$$.