Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 Years - never heard this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
<My wife (on her 2nd model S) went out to shop with the grandson on Saturday (Costco). After shopping came to the car - it unlocked - however the screens did not boot up. So, of course, she immediately started a 'hard' reboot.
No response. After 20 minutes of trying she called Mobile Service. They couldn't connect with the car - so they sent a tow to take her car across the railroad tracks to the Service Center in Seaside, CA. Being closed on Saturday - would wait there till Monday. Car refused to lock.
Meanwhile, I tried several times to contact the car via iPhone - no response.
Monday - service looked at car, found nothing wrong. No history of the problem.
We were told (the thing we have not heard after 6 years) that the car will go into a deep sleep during which it is not responsive!!! ???
So, in an emergency, if needed, the car may be of no use.

Maybe we should be warned??

<My wife (on her 2nd model S) went out to shop with the grandson on Saturday (Costco). After shopping came to the car - it unlocked - however the screens did not boot up. So, of course, she immediately started a 'hard' reboot.
No response. After 20 minutes of trying she called Mobile Service. They couldn't connect with the car - so they sent a tow to take her car across the railroad tracks to the Service Center in Seaside, CA. Being closed on Saturday - would wait there till Monday. Car refused to lock.
Meanwhile, I tried several times to contact the car via iPhone - no response.
Monday - service looked at car, found nothing wrong. No history of the problem.
We were told (the thing we have not heard after 6 years) that the car will go into a deep sleep during which it is not responsive!!! ???
So, in an emergency, if needed, the car may be of no use.

Maybe we should be warned??
We were told? Cmon man, you are a veteran here. We all know that Tesla staff do their best, but are running fast with little clear info from HQ. if this were a common issue, it would be plastered in this forum. You have an anomaly. Hope they fix it fast.

We were told? Cmon man, you are a veteran here. We all know that Tesla staff do their best, but are running fast with little clear info from HQ. if this were a common issue, it would be plastered in this forum. You have an anomaly. Hope they fix it fast.

No - they didn't fix it - they found no problem. Happened on Sat morning. Finally got data on my iPhone Sunday afternoon - car was locked at Service Center location. (we had to leave it unlocked Saturday at Costco cuz we couldn't lock it). During service on Monday morning, they (or the car) re-installed software - same version that was already installed - but said they did not. (we got notifications on the iPhones)
And then we were told the 'deep sleep' story.
Just wondered if this was common knowledge and why we hadn't heard about this in our 6 year / 3 Teslas experience.

Well to be fair I have had this happen as well. (2013 ms85) some sort of deep sleep or start up software bug. earlier this week in fact. the car would not respond to anything. both screens dead. it took about 15 minutes for the car to wake up, and i tried soft reboot and hard reboot. seems to me its a software bug.

Well to be fair I have had this happen as well. (2013 ms85) some sort of deep sleep or start up software bug. earlier this week in fact. the car would not respond to anything. both screens dead. it took about 15 minutes for the car to wake up, and i tried soft reboot and hard reboot. seems to me its a software bug.

I as well one day from work got in the car like so many other days and somedays yes its asleep takes 30 seconds. This day though I tried everything, and after about 10-15 mins of leaving it alone with the door open, it woke up and it has not happened since. Weird, I was like oh no sinking feeling of tow trucks etc.

Reactions: CUBldr97