Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible service experience, why my 2023 Model S is a regrettable purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mrjaysouth

Supporting Member
Apr 25, 2024
West Palm Beach
This may be a long post, but hopefully, it will prevent people from the pain of buying a Tesla Model S. For those people who have had a good experience, I am happy for you, but there are horror stories everywhere, and I should have heeded the warnings.
I will start by saying that I received my car on January 8, 2024.
  1. Jan 8, 2024—On my first walk around the car, I highlighted some poor alignment (panel gaps), and the paint was lifting on the front bumper. They said I should request a service and accept the car, so I did. The car was also pulling to the left quite badly.
  2. Jan 20, 2024—This was the first time the car was serviced. They adjusted the hood, forgot about the bumper issue, and said they needed to order new tires to fix the car's alignment. At this point, they have had my car in service for 3 days in total.

3. Feb 17, 2024—After pushing this service back a few times, they took the car in and installed new tires and a new bumper; I collected the car on 2/21/24, so at this point, they have had my car in service for 7 days, in total. It still pulled left, so I read many forums, took it to a reputable wheel and tire shop, and had the car aligned at my own cost. FIXED. So Tesla can't align a vehicle, which is interesting.

4. Feb 23, 2024—A mystery crack appeared on my roof, at the back of the roof, spanning out from the rear. It was weird, as it seemed it could not be a stone from the road, and I had no idea how it happened. I booked a service for glass replacement on the roof. Appointment booked for 2/26.

5. Feb 29, 2024—Told that it was caused by impact, and wouldn't be covered under warranty, ok .. I accepted that and they pushed my appointment to 3/2/24.

6. Mar 2, 2024—They replaced the glass roof for $1500, and I went to collect it on March 3rd. When I collected the car, it was covered in leaves, dirt, and bird feces. To the point that I could not see the work they had done. It was outrageously dirty. I was told they were under staffed and didn't clean cars. I drove off and cleaned the car. Once clean, I inspected the car, and it was a terrible job; the panel was misaligned, and I could get my index finger down the side of the glass on the driver's side. Body panels and trim had been pushed out, it looked terrible, like an amateur had repaired the car. I took lots of videos and pictures and drove back to the service center immediately, first uploading some of the pictures into the app. They were resistant but after persistence, they agreed to redo the glass roof, and said they would try to address the trim and panels.

7. Mar 8, 2024—They have now started to ignore messages routinely in the app. No responses at all to confirm an appointment. I had to drive down to have them book it.

8. Mar 16, 2024—My car went into service again, and they finally responded to my messages and reviewed the video I sent showing huge panel gaps, trim sticking off the car, and badly positioned roof. I was informed that there was nothing they could do for the panel gaps and trim, bear in mind that these are issues that they created. I had before and after images. the next day, they debated the issues via the messaging service, refusing to admit to any problems.

9. Mar 17, 2024—After getting nowhere in the app, I drove down to the service center to see the service manager. I refused to accept that my new $87,000 car would look like that after paying $1500 for a new roof. I won't bore you with too many details, but it became quite heated as the service manager refused to admit he could see any issues in front of me. For context the panel gap on the glass roof was 12mm wide. I will attach pictures. After a heated debate, he finally agreed to send the car to a body shop to fix the issue. But also kind of said it could not be fixed. I will also add that all staff members consistently use the line 'Tesla are not known for their fit and finish', as though this is somehow ok and an excuse not to fix problems. They kept the car.

10. Mar 31, 2024—Two weeks later, I still hadn't received an update, so I asked for one. They responded the next day (about 30 hours later), saying it was delayed due to parts. They have now had my car for 21 days of my 82 day ownership.

11. Apr 20, 2024—The car is still with them, and they have not charged it. I can see in the app that it is now at a body shop, so I message them to charge car, the battery is now at 6%. I asked them if it harms the battery to let it drain over 6 weeks. I was told it should be fine and will last until Monday. (it is a Saturday)

12. Apr 22, 2024—The car has not been charged and is now critical. I message them again, and point out that no one has charged the car, something that there own manual advises against. I also point out that they have routinely left my car unlocked, and uncared for in any way. I write a lengthy message with questions. I get no response until the next day, simply saying 'Your vehicle has been placed on a charger'. I ask for an update on the state of repairs. I am ignored and receive no response. Tesla have now had my car in service for 43 days of my 105 day ownership.

13. Apr 25, 2024— I get a message saying that my car is ready. I never received any response to my update request (which seems fair enough after a month). I cross my fingers and hope that I am going to see my car looking as it should, a new car. I head down there the next day to collect the car.

14. Apr 26, 2024— I go to collect the car, praying it is right this time. I notice the car has been cleaned as I walk over to it, which should be a good sign; however, as I get close, I can see it is a terrible repair. Worse than the first time. The body shop has visibly bent the trim to make it sit down. The inside trim is hanging off, the gaps are the same. The service manager Steven comes straight over. and discusses the repair. There is no argument this time. He agrees it does not look good and must be redone. At this point, I am pretty deflated, I and the manager is very helpful, but ultimately, this is such bad customer service he really has nothing to say. He apologizes and agrees to keep the car and repair it AGAIN. Once again everyone repeats that Tesla are 'Not know for panel fit and famous for having less than stellar fit and finish'. I upload all images and video the next day to document everything. I receive zero response. My car is now set for completion on May 10.

15. May 9, 2024— I have heard nothing, so I ask for an update in the app. I am told that they will message me if there is any news. I tell them it is due for collection the next day. No response. I message the next day (day of collection) No response.

16. May 11, 2024— I received a call from service saying they need to keep the car for another 2 weeks due to unresponsive body shop partners and parts issues. I then put a message in the app to document this, of course no response. They are still not charging the car by the way. Tesla has now had my car in service for 62 days of my 124-day ownership. They now have the car 50% of the time. This is not the 'dream car' experience I was looking forward to.

17. May 12, 2024— I message them to let them know that my car door has been left open all day at the back of the car lot. They did not respond until the next day, saying they had checked it and closed it. Telsa have now had my new car longer than I have during my ownership.

18. May 21, 2024— I receive a message that my car is ready. I nervously go to collect the car; it is once again very, very dirty, covered in bird poop, leaves, and dirt. The repair is much better, but the tailgate still has a big gap, it is lower than the wing. The trim has been replaced, and is only sticking out a little, but its a shame when you are content with that. I think this is the best they can do.

Tesla have had my car for 72 days of my 134 day ownership - 55% of the time so far.

If I complained about this again, it might become worse not better, as Tesla do not have the ability to either turn out cars made well, or properly repair them. As a former BMW, and AUDI owner, I know these issues would never be called 'within spec'. Tesla is not a crowd funded project, they are a car manufacturer and should be held to the same standard as other car manufacturers.

I love many things about cars; I have now driven every kind of Tesla as a loaner. But the quality control is just not there. They seem to operate using a 'lets see if they notice' Policy, which is why the reviews are terrible. So buying one is a gamble. I wouldn't buy another Tesla, or recommend one to anyone. I thought I had bought a dream car, but it turns out I bought an $87,000 headache.

There is more to the story, but I think this is long enough. I wish I had never bought this car, I am so disappointed.

I appreciate you sharing your story. Fundamentally, the problem with Tesla is that they only care about the stock price. Wall Street only cares about the numbers of vehicles produced and delivered. So there is every incentive to ship poorly built vehicles and also push the customer into accepting these cars while saying that service can fix it. As you have experienced, that is not always true.

Somehow we need to get people to understand that they must refuse to take delivery of poor quality vehicles. I went into delivery of my MXP assuming I would reject it. It was an end of quarter car and they have been known the slap those together. My delivery center (Kansas City) was very accommodating - they tossed my the key fob and said to come back in when I was ready to pay. My family and I crawled all over that car for 30 minutes. I was tempted to take it for a test drive but I thought that would be pushing my luck. To my surprise the car was excellent. There was a small misalignment where the rear hatch meets the roof and there was a scratch on the backup PRND "buttons." I took delivery and my local SC was able to alight the rear hatch and replace the PRND buttons. 2 years in now and not a single issue so Tesla can build good cars - they just choose not to.

Anyway, I hope everyone reads your story and goes into their delivery expecting to reject the car. At least 2 years ago, you could reject 2 cars before they kept your deposit. And even then, it's $250. You have experienced way more then $250 worth of aggravation and inconvenience.

To everyone reading this - if the car doesn't look amazing, reject it. That's the only way to get Tesla to change their ways.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It sucks. Period.

Unfortunately, rejecting a new Tesla because of some panel gaps or paint probs doesn't address the fundamental issue of Tesla's parsimonious, anti-customer-centric third world service center staffing. This ain't no Lexus, but to put it in perspective, even a now heavily discounted $90K Model S buys you a brand spanking new top level Overtrail trim Lexus GX 550 CA tax included.

I've typed this and I'll type here again that my Track Pack '23 MSP is my first and last Tesla and I've had zero issues other than your typical creaking noises at parking lot speeds and the ephemeral 38-45 mph vibes. It's a world class LA daily driver, yet because of my local TSCs, I will not give another red cent to a company that doesn't commit ample investment to post-purchase customer service. It's dog sht run by people who apply through "NOW HIRING" banners on the side of its leased buildings.

Tesla approved collision center? lol, who'll do the least amount to work for the cheapest price sign here, gracias.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you're going through this. It sucks. Period.

Unfortunately, rejecting a new Tesla because of some panel gaps or paint probs doesn't address the fundamental issue of Tesla's parsimonious, anti-customer-centric third world service center staffing. This ain't no Lexus, but to put it in perspective, even a now heavily discounted $90K Model S buys you a brand spanking new top level Overtrail trim Lexus GX 550 CA tax included.

I've typed this and I'll type here again that my Track Pack '23 MSP is my first and last Tesla and I've had zero issues other than your typical creaking noises at parking lot speeds and the ephemeral 38-45 mph vibes. It's a world class LA daily driver, yet because of my local TSCs, I will not give another red cent to a company that doesn't commit ample investment to post-purchase customer service. It's dog sht run by people who apply through "NOW HIRING" banners on the side of its leased buildings.

Tesla approved collision center? lol, who'll do the least amount to work for the cheapest price sign here, gracias.
I’m in the same boat. I have a track packed MSP and I love it but I probably won’t buy another Tesla again. Just 2 years ago if you would’ve asked me I’d probably tell you the only thing I’d ever buy again would be a Tesla but here we are.

I had the tire wear issue which was fixed with aftermarket camber arms but then they wouldn’t install my track pack because it had the aftermarket arms installed. So I had to pay an aftermarket shop to put the track pack brakes. The Tesla service manager had initially promised to reimburse me for the labor but then that was a bust since he no longer works for Tesla and they’re not exactly honoring any promises even when they’re in writing (email). With all these layoffs it’s only going to get worse. I like the car so it’s not like I’m willing to cut my losses and sell right now but I guess I have no choice but to drive this car til the wheels fall off since I’m also very underwater with the depreciation.

I’m in the same boat. I have a track packed MSP and I love it but I probably won’t buy another Tesla again. Just 2 years ago if you would’ve asked me I’d probably tell you the only thing I’d ever buy again would be a Tesla but here we are.

I had the tire wear issue which was fixed with aftermarket camber arms but then they wouldn’t install my track pack because it had the aftermarket arms installed. So I had to pay an aftermarket shop to put the track pack brakes. The Tesla service manager had initially promised to reimburse me for the labor but then that was a bust since he no longer works for Tesla and they’re not exactly honoring any promises even when they’re in writing (email). With all these layoffs it’s only going to get worse. I like the car so it’s not like I’m willing to cut my losses and sell right now but I guess I have no choice but to drive this car til the wheels fall off since I’m also very underwater with the depreciation.

I have zero tire wear issues thanks to the N2itive camber arms. My car feels even lighter and more powerful since I run 21" Forgeline wheels replacing the made in China cast Arachnids weighing in at a porky 35 lbs each. The Track Pack brakes give me ridiculous stopping power and look even better with zero brake dust.

BUT

If anything goes wrong, I have to go to my app and make an appt with TSC. Roll of the dice. No bueno. I debate whether I dump it now or keep it long term. I'm guessing I could get $95-100K for it? June 2023, fully Xpeled and ceramic tinted, 11K miles, enthusiast owned no drama? lol

Reactions: gbailey and 1100MCM
This may be a long post, but hopefully, it will prevent people from the pain of buying a Tesla Model S. For those people who have had a good experience, I am happy for you, but there are horror stories everywhere, and I should have heeded the warnings.
  1. Jan 8, 2024—On my first walk around the car, I highlighted some poor alignment (panel gaps), and the paint was lifting on the front bumper. They said I should request a service and accept the car, so I did. The car was also pulling to the left quite badly.
  2. Jan 20, 2024—This was the first time the car was serviced. They adjusted the hood, forgot about the bumper issue, and said they needed to order new tires to fix the car's alignment. At this point, they have had my car in service for 3 days in total.

3. Feb 17, 2024—After pushing this service back a few times, they took the car in and installed new tires and a new bumper; I collected the car on 2/21/24, so at this point, they have had my car in service for 7 days, in total. It still pulled left, so I read many forums, took it to a reputable wheel and tire shop, and had the car aligned at my own cost. FIXED. So Tesla can't align a vehicle, which is interesting.

4. Feb 23, 2024—A mystery crack appeared on my roof, at the back of the roof, spanning out from the rear. It was weird, as it seemed it could not be a stone from the road, and I had no idea how it happened. I booked a service for glass replacement on the roof. Appointment booked for 2/26.

5. Feb 29, 2024—Told that it was caused by impact, and wouldn't be covered under warranty, ok .. I accepted that and they pushed my appointment to 3/2/24.

6. Mar 2, 2024—They replaced the glass roof for $1500, and I went to collect it on March 3rd. When I collected the car, it was covered in leaves, dirt, and bird feces. To the point that I could not see the work they had done. It was outrageously dirty. I was told they were under staffed and didn't clean cars. I drove off and cleaned the car. Once clean, I inspected the car, and it was a terrible job; the panel was misaligned, and I could get my index finger down the side of the glass on the driver's side. Body panels and trim had been pushed out, it looked terrible, like an amateur had repaired the car. I took lots of videos and pictures and drove back to the service center immediately, first uploading some of the pictures into the app. They were resistant but after persistence, they agreed to redo the glass roof, and said they would try to address the trim and panels.

7. Mar 8, 2024—They have now started to ignore messages routinely in the app. No responses at all to confirm an appointment. I had to drive down to have them book it.

8. Mar 16, 2024—My car went into service again, and they finally responded to my messages and reviewed the video I sent showing huge panel gaps, trim sticking off the car, and badly positioned roof. I was informed that there was nothing they could do for the panel gaps and trim, bear in mind that these are issues that they created. I had before and after images. the next day, they debated the issues via the messaging service, refusing to admit to any problems.

9. Mar 17, 2024—After getting nowhere in the app, I drove down to the service center to see the service manager. I refused to accept that my new $87,000 car would look like that after paying $1500 for a new roof. I won't bore you with too many details, but it became quite heated as the service manager refused to admit he could see any issues in front of me. For context the panel gap on the glass roof was 12mm wide. I will attach pictures. After a heated debate, he finally agreed to send the car to a body shop to fix the issue. But also kind of said it could not be fixed. I will also add that all staff members consistently use the line 'Tesla are not known for their fit and finish', as though this is somehow ok and an excuse not to fix problems. They kept the car.

10. Mar 31, 2024—Two weeks later, I still hadn't received an update, so I asked for one. They responded the next day (about 30 hours later), saying it was delayed due to parts. They have now had my car for 21 days of my 82 day ownership.

11. Apr 20, 2024—The car is still with them, and they have not charged it. I can see in the app that it is now at a body shop, so I message them to charge car, the battery is now at 6%. I asked them if it harms the battery to let it drain over 6 weeks. I was told it should be fine and will last until Monday. (it is a Saturday)

12. Apr 22, 2024—The car has not been charged and is now critical. I message them again, and point out that no one has charged the car, something that there own manual advises against. I also point out that they have routinely left my car unlocked, and uncared for in any way. I write a lengthy message with questions. I get no response until the next day, simply saying 'Your vehicle has been placed on a charger'. I ask for an update on the state of repairs. I am ignored and receive no response. Tesla have now had my car in service for 43 days of my 105 day ownership.

13. Apr 25, 2024— I get a message saying that my car is ready. I never received any response to my update request (which seems fair enough after a month). I cross my fingers and hope that I am going to see my car looking as it should, a new car. I head down there the next day to collect the car.

14. Apr 26, 2024— I go to collect the car, praying it is right this time. I notice the car has been cleaned as I walk over to it, which should be a good sign; however, as I get close, I can see it is a terrible repair. Worse than the first time. The body shop has visibly bent the trim to make it sit down. The inside trim is hanging off, the gaps are the same. The service manager Steven comes straight over. and discusses the repair. There is no argument this time. He agrees it does not look good and must be redone. At this point, I am pretty deflated, I and the manager is very helpful, but ultimately, this is such bad customer service he really has nothing to say. He apologizes and agrees to keep the car and repair it AGAIN. Once again everyone repeats that Tesla are 'Not know for panel fit and famous for having less than stellar fit and finish'. I upload all images and video the next day to document everything. I receive zero response. My car is now set for completion on May 10.

15. May 9, 2024— I have heard nothing, so I ask for an update in the app. I am told that they will message me if there is any news. I tell them it is due for collection the next day. No response. I message the next day (day of collection) No response.

16. May 11, 2024— I received a call from service saying they need to keep the car for another 2 weeks due to unresponsive body shop partners and parts issues. I then put a message in the app to document this, of course no response. They are still not charging the car by the way. Tesla has now had my car in service for 62 days of my 124-day ownership. They now have the car 50% of the time. This is not the 'dream car' experience I was looking forward to.

17. May 12, 2024— I message them to let them know that my car door has been left open all day at the back of the car lot. They did not respond until the next day, saying they had checked it and closed it. Telsa have now had my new car longer than I have during my ownership.

18. May 21, 2024— I receive a message that my car is ready. I nervously go to collect the car; it is once again very, very dirty, covered in bird poop, leaves, and dirt. The repair is much better, but the tailgate still has a big gap, it is lower than the wing. The trim has been replaced, and is only sticking out a little, but its a shame when you are content with that. I think this is the best they can do.

Tesla have had my car for 72 days of my 134 day ownership - 55% of the time so far.

If I complained about this again, it might become worse not better, as Tesla do not have the ability to either turn out cars made well, or properly repair them. As a former BMW, and AUDI owner, I know these issues would never be called 'within spec'. Tesla is not a crowd funded project, they are a car manufacturer and should be held to the same standard as other car manufacturers.

I love many things about cars; I have now driven every kind of Tesla as a loaner. But the quality control is just not there. They seem to operate using a 'lets see if they notice' Policy, which is why the reviews are terrible. So buying one is a gamble. I wouldn't buy another Tesla, or recommend one to anyone. I thought I had bought a dream car, but it turns out I bought an $87,000 headache.

There is more to the story, but I think this is long enough. I wish I had never bought this car, I am so disappointed.
Sorry to hear this happened to you... but welcome to the party. After similar experiences with two new ones, I went private sale used and paid cash this time. Low mileage and through the first half of the bathtub curve. Still have some issues but nothing I can't handle myself so far. I'll never step foot on Tesla owned property again. What if it does break in a way I can't fix myself, you may ask? It's money already spent, I'll just sell it for parts and move on.

...eyeing that new Taycan...

Love the car, hate the company. Tesla service is bullshit. All Tesla cares about is selling cars. Welcome to the club.

You’re not alone. My MXP has been in service 8 times and 2 mobile appointments in 6 months. Not as many days as you but more than 20. Some of the issues caused by screwed up repair. I also have body shop appointment to finally fix some delivery issues that were never properly fixed. The right half shaft showed signs of damage only after less than 3K miles, steering rack had to be replaced, both rear quarter windows replaced, one shoddily, and so forth. Every time on pick up car was dirty with foot prints on the door sill and dust and grease all over.

I don’t believe I should be forking thousands of dollars for aftermarket parts to correct suspension issues but another one or two things that go wrong, and I’m just paying an attorney to deal with them and force a buyback or sue for lemon. I’m persistent.

Still hope the outcome of next visit to be such that I don’t need anymore SC visits anytime soon. We’ll see - body shop is reputable.

This is why I am hesitant to upgrade to a MS/MX. When you are paying for a 80k+ car, you would think there would be a different level of quality and service.

Is Rivian or Lucid better? I don't know what to get anymore after my current 2021 MY (which has zero issues so far).

Lots of truth to that. But service centers vary in quality. Some care, and some are overwhelmed or incompetent.
Which is why I asked upthread which service center this was, it does make a difference. I have been going to Portland OR since my first Tesla in 2015 and they have been excellent but since they opened a center closer to me in Salem OR I have been going there and have had issues with them. I'm probably going to go back to Portland even though they are an hour further away.

Reactions: GSP and TBrownTX