Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6000mile DIY rotation, and front tires wearing on inside shoulder...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
So, I rotated my 18" OEM tires at 6000 miles only to find that the fronts, on both sides, are wearing on the inside shoulders. Presumably, an alignment issue. Usually I check treadwear while filling my car with gas, but now, not so much.

I know Tesla can rotate my tires, and being 3+hrs away from a SC, a mobile ranger can come and do the job, but I like to do it myself, when possible, because I can inspect the wheel wells, suspension arms, brakes/rotors, etc., not to mention practice lifting the car and swapping tires, in case of a flat. I found the factory-installed lug nuts weren't 129ft-lbs, because they tightened when I put my torque wrench on them. Probably closer to 100ft-lbs.

Take a look at the pics, which I've labeled below. I don't drive too aggressively. My lifetime average power usage is about 250kW. Pressures to spec, 45lbs from Winter when I got the car in December to now.

Attachments

• IMG_2689.jpg
    IMG_2689.jpg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2714.jpg
    IMG_2714.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    700.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2724.jpg
    IMG_2724.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2726.jpg
    IMG_2726.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Just some background here. The S has non-adjustable rear upper camber links (ULs). The M3 has neither rear nor front camber adjustability. Your tire pressure should be okay at factory spec, however, I run both my S and M3 a bit higher. If your car remains at the stock ride height, you should probably be able to feel cross feathering of the tread when you slide your hand across the tread where it will be smooth in one direction and rough in the opposite direction. If you feel this feathering than you need the toe adjusted.

btw, I am like you, in that, I perform my own tire rotations as it provides me the opportunity to poke around in there bit visually inspecting the suspension and brakes. Also, when I roll each of the tires to their new corner I always inspect the tread for any abnormal tire wear or any nails or screws that found their way into the tire.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah, was thinking it must be toeing in, since like you noted, it's definitely cross-feathered, and strangely flattish/cupped in the middle of the inner block. Was just wondering if this was common, since both of my front tires are exhibiting exactly the same.

I don't look for screws or nails, but I probably should. Always picking up good points.

Obviously Tesla mobile rangers can't adjust toe-in, and I'm not going to take my Model 3, over 3hrs away to a SC, so I'll take it to a local tireshop. Are the alignment specs known, or should I look them up somewhere on the internet?

Here ya go.

Alignment specs attached

Since I am not tracking our Teslas, I prefer to run minimal camber and minimal toe to increase efficiency and extend the service life of my tires.

btw, @zwede, @lolachampcar, and @HyperMiler are all extremely knowledgable about alignments with @zwede posting a DIY guide on this forum years ago if you are so inclined to search for it.

btw II, it might be kinda fun to install a level app on your phone and check the camber just for grins as you seem to be interested in this sort of “stuff”.

Please keep in mind (I am sure you already know this) that an alignment is only as good as the shop rat performing it. Lol, I am comfortable calling my fellow brethren that name, however, the great folks working in the service centers and the Ranger folks are “techs” and many that I have known over the last 6.5 years are truly amazing.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, can you rotate the tires diagonally, or are they directional so you can only rotate front to back? Also, the torque specs call for 129 ft/lbs on the lug nuts? Seems crazy high. Coming up on time to do this myself, and no way on earth am I driving 4 hours and paying Tesla $400 for it, haha.

Others have reported that the Mobile Rangers just rotate front-to-back. Do they have Mobile Rangers in BC? Supposedly the first rotation used to be free, but now, it's just under $100. Of course, it's not hard to rotate yourself and allows you a chance to look over the brakes, suspension arms, and how much dirt is collecting in your under trays.

I have the LR-AWD model, so OEM 18s. The Michelins are not directional, and according to the Michelin website, their AWD tires should be cross-rotated. I didn't since I am planning to replace these tires in Winter.

Others have reported that the Mobile Rangers just rotate front-to-back. Do they have Mobile Rangers in BC? Supposedly the first rotation used to be free, but now, it's just under $100. Of course, it's not hard to rotate yourself and allows you a chance to look over the brakes, suspension arms, and how much dirt is collecting in your under trays.

I have the LR-AWD model, so OEM 18s. The Michelins are not directional, and according to the Michelin website, their AWD tires should be cross-rotated. I didn't since I am planning to replace these tires in Winter.
We have one mobile ranger on the island, but between the cost and the fact that I don't want to waste his time, I'll just do it myself. As far as I can tell the factory michelin 18" tires are not directional, but I've also heard Tesla only rotates then front to back. Like you said it's also a good chance to look at the car's suspension and visually inspect for issues.

I realize this a M3 thread, but except (generally speaking) for the 1/2 ton lighter weight of my M3, I deploy the same tire pressure and rotation pattern for both my P85 and LR RWD M3. Personally, I never rotate front to back on the same side as I always try to even out the feathering (longitudinal and side-to-side) since Tesla often runs a quite a bit of camber and toe to help the car track on various road surfaces/conditions, corner well, and for safety to help insure that it passes the Guvernment FMVSS No. 126 stabilty control standard. For some reason, I enjoy the challenge of setting the record for the maximum tire service life of my tires on my Teslas and many ICE vehicles. The money I saved by achieving 51K miles from my original 21 Contis on the P85 is easily in the $ thousands. Rotating one’s own tires is rewarding (to me) in knowing that the job was done properly and it can save money.

Good luck

Reactions: KenC