Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third tire rotation at ~19,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow up to First tire rotation at ~6,500 miles .

Did the third tire rotation at ~19,000 miles (second one done at ~12,500 miles).

I used a large scissor jack on the front jack puck to raise the car slightly so that the hydraulic jack I have could go under the rear jack puck. Leaving the car on two jacks while swapping the tires on one side is not ideal compared to getting all four corners on jack stands and doing a cross rotation, but the main difference in wear seems to be between front and rear (rear wears more quickly, since the RWD model that I have uses the rear wheels for all acceleration and regenerative braking).

I also got a deep drive 21mm socket and a 250 ft-lb torque wrench to make things easier.

The original Michelin Primacy MXM4 T1 tires started with 8/32". Before the third tire rotation, the rear tires had 5/32", and the front tires had 6/32". At this rate of wear, it is likely that the tires will last 43,000 to 50,000 miles to the 2/32" wear bars / legal minimum, although it is likely that they will be below 4/32" at around 38,000 to 40,000 miles when a rainy season starts (I usually replace tires if they are below 4/32" when the rainy season starts). Obviously, your tire mileage may vary.

Did the third tire rotation at ~19,000 miles (second one done at ~12,500 miles).

I used a large scissor jack on the front jack puck to raise the car slightly so that the hydraulic jack I have could go under the rear jack puck. Leaving the car on two jacks while swapping the tires on one side is not ideal compared to getting all four corners on jack stands and doing a cross rotation, but the main difference in wear seems to be between front and rear (rear wears more quickly, since the RWD model that I have uses the rear wheels for all acceleration and regenerative braking).

I also got a deep drive 21mm socket and a 250 ft-lb torque wrench to make things easier.

The original Michelin Primacy MXM4 T1 tires started with 8/32". Before the third tire rotation, the rear tires had 5/32", and the front tires had 6/32". At this rate of wear, it is likely that the tires will last 43,000 to 50,000 miles to the 2/32" wear bars / legal minimum, although it is likely that they will be below 4/32" at around 38,000 to 40,000 miles when a rainy season starts (I usually replace tires if they are below 4/32" when the rainy season starts). Obviously, your tire mileage may vary.
Wow, I'm not expecting to make it to 30,000 on mine. I do have the AWD LR but you are doing quite well on your tires.

The wear is definitely rear biased in my AWD. How much more or less than a RWD Model 3? I have no idea.
I don’t have a lot of data to back it up, but casually watching my S3XY app, front motor doesn’t kick in until you exceed perhaps 100hp or so from the rear motor. So, during normal calm driving where you are only asking for maybe 50-75hp, the front motor doesn’t do a lot.

I don’t have a lot of data to back it up, but casually watching my S3XY app, front motor doesn’t kick in until you exceed perhaps 100hp or so from the rear motor. So, during normal calm driving where you are only asking for maybe 50-75hp, the front motor doesn’t do a lot.
Wow, that is really good info. I use it in the snow a lot which is really the only reason I bought AWD. The 0-60 on any Tesla is so fast compared to any other car I've owned that it really isn't necessary except when you want to have more fun.

Just rotated my Model 3 RWD tires for the first time at 8,000 miles. A few days earlier I had Tesla mobile here to fix an unrelated thing and he measured my front tires at 8/32 and my rears at 6/32. Why do you think the original tread was 8/32 and not 10/32 as indicated on their website? Just trying to get an idea on how my tires are doing.

Edit: I was looking at the wrong version and now I see the 8/32 tread on their website. So that's not too bad from my tires. If the fronts essentially have no wear and the rears wear at 2/32 per 8,000 miles then I can figure about 4/32 tread left at about 32,000 miles. I'd take that.

Last edited: