Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.16kwh + 2 PW permit details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have access to detailed permit but the description/subject line says -

Installation of roof-mounted PV, 8.16 kw, 24 modules, 1 (N) 200A Load Center, 1 (N) 225A Distribution panel, 1 (N) 125A Load Center (2) Tesla Powerwall (ESS)

My existing panel is a 200 amp panel.

Does this look right and similar to what folks with similar setup have?

Our set up pretty much. Main 220A Service panel (with 225A bus) outside of garage with loads relocated to one of two interior load centers. One a distribution panel with the house loads and Gateway and the other with Inverter and 3 PWs.

Thanks. I have no much idea about panels so my questions may be silly :-(
1) what happens to existing panel which came with the house?
2) Does the 225a distribution become the main panel which is hooked to main power supply cable from the grid (SCE)?
3) Do the existing breakers get moved to a different panel?

I can tell you our main service panel (which was upgraded to a 225A bus and different feed) is still stucco'd in our outdoor wall. All of the breakers except for the main were removed and slots capped and transferred to the interior panel which has a 150A 2P main breaker as described above.

We had asked early on what equipment was going to be installed in our garage and it was described as the inverter, gateway and PWs so when our 3-line diagram was provided we were surprised to see two additional load center panels on it. Our MSP was pretty full so guessing they needed to split it off to accommodate the inverter and solar. Our newly installed upgraded 200A/225A bus panel was solar ready so we thought that was the only panel with breakers we would have. Not electrical savvy but learning LOL.

The panel with the inverter and PWs has a 40A 2P breaker for the solar inverter and 3 - 30A 2P breakers for the PWs. Supplied by a 150A 2P main breaker.

Last edited:
I had a 200 amp main panel and 100 amp subpanel prior to PW + solar install. They basically left my 2 existing panels as they were. They put the energy gateway between my meter and main panel. They also added a generation panel attached directly to the energy gateway for the PW + solar breakers. You can call and ask them for the detailed drawing they submit with the permit and they will send it to you.