Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8Kw 125A panel question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not in SMUD territory but am interested in any Tesla required service upgrade requirements since I may run into similar issue. Why don’t you call SMUD and they probably can give you information faster than Tesla. The SMUD Electrical Service Requirements doc may give you some info as well https://www.smud.org/-/media/Docume...ates/PDFs/ResidentialUnderground_Sec_III.ashx.

In section C-16, 1. SERVICE UPGRADE, 1.2 DIRECT BURIED SERVICE CONDUCTOR NEEDS TO BE REPLACED WITH APPROVED SERVICE CABLE AND INSTALLED IN APPROVED SERVICE CONDUIT.

I’m not in SMUD territory but am interested in any Tesla required service upgrade requirements since I may run into similar issue. Why don’t you call SMUD and they probably can give you information faster than Tesla. The SMUD Electrical Service Requirements doc may give you some info as well https://www.smud.org/-/media/Docume...ates/PDFs/ResidentialUnderground_Sec_III.ashx.

In section C-16, 1. SERVICE UPGRADE, 1.2 DIRECT BURIED SERVICE CONDUCTOR NEEDS TO BE REPLACED WITH APPROVED SERVICE CABLE AND INSTALLED IN APPROVED SERVICE CONDUIT.
Sure, its common that when you ahve to replace them, you puyt them in underground conduit.

However the OP is trying to avoid them upgrading the service. OP could replace panel with a Like for Like swap, and go to a 125A main breaker only panel, or panel that takes a 125A breaker on the bus. Maybe Tesla or SMUD wont allow that for reasons I am not aware of.

Sure, its common that when you ahve to replace them, you puyt them in underground conduit.

However the OP is trying to avoid them upgrading the service. OP could replace panel with a Like for Like swap, and go to a 125A main breaker only panel, or panel that takes a 125A breaker on the bus. Maybe Tesla or SMUD wont allow that for reasons I am not aware of.
Yup. Exactly. SMUD is ok with a like for like panel replacement. Telsa "can't" install if the line isn't in conduit. It took 3 weeks just to get that answer out of them. I'm going to go ahead and just upgrade to 200A. I may just use a 3" line in case I ever need to go up to 300/400A. I highly doubt it, but for a few extra dollars, why not?