Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9 to 5 Mac choose Tesla app as best app of 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that it's an odd for 9to5 to give this award to the Tesla app. There are plenty of other useful apps out there that don't require a $65k to $120k accessory to make them do something. :)

Can the iPod Touch run this over WiFi to any extent?
--

Yes, Tesla's app would work just fine on an iPod touch (and an iPad as well). The caveats would be that the iPod touch and iPad would need a live Internet connection over WiFi (or cellular for the 3G/4G models of the iPad) and the iPad interface would just be the standard iPhone interface scaled up to the larger screen. The entry in the iOS App Store lists:

Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later, Compatible with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

The Tesla app is an example of how the smartphone lets you do something that couldn't be done before.
Using your smartphone to control, monitor, or interact with other ( traditionally dumb ) devices is the compelling story here.

The Tesla app is an example of how the smartphone lets you do something that couldn't be done before.
Using your smartphone to control, monitor, or interact with other ( traditionally dumb ) devices is the compelling story here.
Except for the Leaf app that came out years ago that does the same...and the Volt one I believe...they even give you alerts when charging is interupted.

I agree with others that the app is not that advanced and probably unworthy of such an award. It really is nothing new -- the Volt Onstar app is better and it was released at least two years ago. But I'm eager to see the new features on the next version.

The volt app is only ok. It's very slow to update or send commands. I realize the latency comes from how onstar works and not the app, but the net result is the same.

Hopefully Tesla will continue to innovate wrt to their app.

Yes, Tesla's app would work just fine on an iPod touch (and an iPad as well). The caveats would be that the iPod touch and iPad would need a live Internet connection over WiFi (or cellular for the 3G/4G models of the iPad) and the iPad interface would just be the standard iPhone interface scaled up to the larger screen. The entry in the iOS App Store lists:
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later, Compatible with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

I have the Tesla app on my iPhone. When I am on my iPad and search the App Store for that app I can't find it. All I find is an app called "Social - Tesla Motors Edition". I searched for "Tesla Model S" or simply "Tesla".

The Tesla app is very useful in its current form but of course they could enable it to do much more. I'm sure that over time it will be improved.

I have the Tesla app on my iPhone. When I am on my iPad and search the App Store for that app I can't find it.

By default, when searching for iOS apps on an iPad, it will only show you apps that are native for the iPad (ones that don't have the smaller iPhone graphics simply enlarged to the iPad display size). I just checked on my iPad and found it by doing the following. Launch the App Store application, search for Tesla, select the "iPad Only" drop-down at the top of the screen and change it to "iPhone Only". The "Tesla Model S" app is the top result.

BTW, apps that have a plus sign (+) inside the price box are "universal apps" that are native on both the iPhone and iPad. They will run on a iPhone, but also have a native iPad interface. I usually only install an app on the iPad when it's strictly an iPad app or one of these universal apps. I don't particularly like running iPhone-only apps on the iPad...

Last edited: