Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unfriendly Service Appointment within Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model is 4 month old. I saw a reminder for tire rotation. I tried to schedule an appointment for it. The "Request Service" function on Tesla App does not allow me to pick a service center or a date. For any schedule, the location and the date/time are the most important thing.

It asks me to put my address. However, I will be in different places at different times. From Mon to Fri, I will be in office in the morning and at home in the afternoon. I will be in another places during the weekend.

After I gave the App my address, it took bout 2 hours to give me a date. Unfortunately, I would be there on that date. Even worse, it's mobile serivce only. Our HOA doesn't allow can repair/maitanence in our community. I prefer service in the service center. I had to call to find out that the service 5 minutes away from my house can actually do tire rotation, but the earliest availability was 8 days away. (The mobile service is 7 days away).

Why doesn't Tesla just use a typically scheduling system by asking for date/time and locaton, and then letting the user pick from the available appointments? Such systems work for years. Tesla is inventing something just for inventing, even if it's worse than regular ones.

They want to funnel as many people away from service centers as they can because they get overbooked.

Many people find mobile service more convenient and prefer it to going in.

Some service centers can only do certain things so depending on the problem they might direct you to a service center that’s not necessarily the closest to you.

Many problems also do not warrant a service visit so they try to brush things off first by saying “within spec” or “known bug, wait for a software update” instead of having people come in for an appointment and being told that in person.

And for “regular” visits like tires and rotations, any regular tire shop will do it.
Tesla service centers are overloaded and overbooked. They’ll see you when they want to and can see you. The only high priority issues that will necessitate an immediate visit are HV battery failures.

Overall though, the only visits I had to make were to fix post-delivery issues. Been pretty good otherwise.

Enjoy the ride!

I tried to schedule an appointment for it. The "Request Service" function on Tesla App does not allow me to pick a service center or a date.
You can choose a date by editing the first date they give you. I know this, because like you, when I scheduled for a yoke replacement it gave a date/time I was not available. I went back to the appt screen and clicked edit. I was then able to choose from several choices.
1000028652.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
Why doesn't Tesla just use a typically scheduling system by asking for date/time and locaton, and then letting the user pick from the available appointments? Such systems work for years. Tesla is inventing something just for inventing, even if it's worse than regular ones.
Whenever I schedule service, the app presents me with options for multiple area service centers, usually with multiple time slots for each.

BTW, there's certainly nothing special about a tire rotation. Any reputable tire shop can do it - almost certainly for less cost.