Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A/C not cooling air - Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla A/C not cooling air - solved

While driving today, the air conditioner in our Tesla Model X was blowing warm air despite trying to cool the car. We tried a mix of simple things - turn off Auto, lower temperature to low, max fan, etc - but no luck. After a call to Tesla support, a bunch of google searches, and enduring a “sweat box” for 45+ mins, I finally fixed the issue.

Details:
- tesla model x
- software v 10.2

Symptom:
- AC is not cooling the air
- On the AC screen I noticed the following message at the bottom right (next to the “dog mode” config), “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault” (photo attached)

How to fix:
1. Turn off cabin overheat protection
2. Turn off the A/C
3. Follow instructions for a soft reset (hold down scroll keys until screen resets)
4. Follow instructions for hard reset (controls - security- power off; wait at least 3 minutes; step on brake to power on)
5. Check A/C screen to see if the “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault” message has disappeared
6. If the message is still there, repeat step 4. It took me 5+ tries to solve the problem.
7. Re-enable cabin overheat protection

Notes:

- When you power off the car in step 4, everything should shut down, and the car should truly be powered off.
- at first, the air kept turning on despite “power off”, and I realized it is due to cabin overheat protection. This prevented the A/C system from powering down

So we’re now in the middle of our 9 hour drive from Savannah to Miami. After multiple hard and soft resets, we’re driving with the windows open. It’s 96 degrees inside the cabin. Does anyone at Tesla care even a little? No. Earliest appointment i could get for service is in two weeks. By then, AC will be working, and they won’t be able to replicate the problem.

So we’re now in the middle of our 9 hour drive from Savannah to Miami. After multiple hard and soft resets, we’re driving with the windows open. It’s 96 degrees inside the cabin. Does anyone at Tesla care even a little? No. Earliest appointment i could get for service is in two weeks. By then, AC will be working, and they won’t be able to replicate the problem.
Sorry. I've experienced that a few years ago and can relate to your frustration. In my case, I was able to turn it ON via the Tesla phone app (Android) which is how I tried it when it stopped working while supercharging. There is perhaps a bit turned on and you need to find the right code path to go down sometimes.

A second trip to the SC fixed my issue for now. The claim was that on the first trip, it was one of their mobile techs and he didn't diagnose the issue correctly. They say he thought my AC system was over charged and he allegedly reduced the charge. This time they replaced my compressor. So far about 2 weeks later it's been working as it should have been from the start and has been much much quieter on the outside. Doesn't like a jet idling on the taxi-way anymore.

Reactions: Fred42
I had an issue on my 2020 MX last week. It was fixed by a mobile tech on Monday.

My AC worked in the morning, at lunch it blew massive hot air out the vents, then going home that evening it worked fine. The next several days, the AC would quit working at random times after driving a while. What I noticed was that no air was flowing. It sounded like it was trying to blow air but none was coming out. As if the baffles in the vents were stuck closed. I tried all combinations of settings except for one and nothing worked.

Sunday at the beginning of a four hour trip, it stopped cooling about 10 minutes in. I touched the fan icon and then I touched the HEPA filtration button (looks like an infectious disease icon), next to the fan selectors. Suddenly cool air started pouring out of the vents. Adjusting the fan speed down from 10 to 7 dropped the noise but the AC continued to operate, thank God.

The tech came by with a sensor for the AC. He reached the sensor by going into the under dash area from the drivers side.

After that, it seems to be working fine.

So, if you get stuck in the heat, try pressing the Infection Inflection button and see if that helps!

My A/C is also out. Has already been to the service center twice. First time they just ran it through the computer and since it didn't throw any errors, they dismissed it. Second time they replaced some rings but still doesn't work. Going back for appointment next week. Nothing so far works. I have tried resetting, toggling range mode and cabin overheat protection, bioweapon defense mode, precooling from app. It sucks....

My A/C is also out. Has already been to the service center twice. First time they just ran it through the computer and since it didn't throw any errors, they dismissed it. Second time they replaced some rings but still doesn't work. Going back for appointment next week. Nothing so far works. I have tried resetting, toggling range mode and cabin overheat protection, bioweapon defense mode, precooling from app. It sucks....
Following... air went out shortly after upgrade to HDW3. OTA diagnostics said it was a fan by the compressor. Until repeated issues with MCU, intermittent periods of the dash display flashing light then dark then light... Voice command button not working. Shutting down when I exit, slow to reboot when I re-enter. I’ve requested several times to have MCU checked. Due to KY not having a service center, I have an appt in 2.5 weeks (soonest appt at a time I can take off work to travel there).

2016 model x 77k miles ambient temps were 92+.
Wife went from fort Walton beach FL to Jacksonville FL and at the Super charger in Tallahassee the car stopped cooling and came up with
THC_w0016

Air Conditions reduced DC Fast Charging/Supercharging rate may be reduced
Cooling fan stopped running and ac stopped working an hour worth of resetting and putting to sleep and no change let it sit over night and it cooled down and started to work again but as soon as she started her trip back same issue again! We’re out of warranty so I’d like to get it checked but I’m also not seeing anyone with similar issues, so is my cars ac just failing?
94A2A83B-B653-4097-AC96-D5BBA883AB7B.jpeg

Reactions: Ghosty
Hi,

Mine did not have that message but the car was cold for about 1 minute!.
Into the SC it went as i was also doing the MCU2 upgrade , they said a recharge is what it needed.
So two days later..."your condenser fan needs replacing"...ok - go ahead
A day later, its still not getting cold, ...ok...we will replace all the seals....ok....

over the weekend, it now states "waiting for parts" and now it will be 5 more days.....jeez!!

luckily I have a MX for a loaner, and warranty!!

2016 model x 77k miles ambient temps were 92+.
Wife went from fort Walton beach FL to Jacksonville FL and at the Super charger in Tallahassee the car stopped cooling and came up with
THC_w0016

Air Conditions reduced DC Fast Charging/Supercharging rate may be reduced
Cooling fan stopped running and ac stopped working an hour worth of resetting and putting to sleep and no change let it sit over night and it cooled down and started to work again but as soon as she started her trip back same issue again! We’re out of warranty so I’d like to get it checked but I’m also not seeing anyone with similar issues, so is my cars ac just failing?
I have this exact pattern. Similar messages prior to the deadly TCH_w0016. My car was simply parked in 113 degree temperature. Not super charging. However, I just went into garage and checked the louvers. The three on the front driver side are all closed. Two smallest ones on the front passenger side are closed, except the bottom one is "opened." However, the louver looks like its hanging/tilted. Not sure about its operation. My car is not supercharged at all, only charged at home.

processed (1).jpeg

processed.jpeg

I had this issue yesterday. Tried endless soft resets and have an urgent service appointment scheduled. I drove from Tucson to Ozona, TX in 100° heat with the windows down and made it into the hotel at midnight. We’re leaving this morning at 4:00 and the issue seems to have resolved itself.

I’m still taking it into the service center once I get back to Houston around noon.

Attachments

• 36CEE006-7E23-4DF2-B5F9-2726F55C83EF.jpeg
    36CEE006-7E23-4DF2-B5F9-2726F55C83EF.jpeg
    555.6 KB · Views: 89
  • EB897A61-39D3-4DD5-AA75-4FC86F213D6F.jpeg
    EB897A61-39D3-4DD5-AA75-4FC86F213D6F.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 3B9DB3D9-3E3D-48D3-9F64-DBEDB253536F.jpeg
    3B9DB3D9-3E3D-48D3-9F64-DBEDB253536F.jpeg
    743.3 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: hcdavis3
I had this issue yesterday. Tried endless soft resets and have an urgent service appointment scheduled. I drove from Tucson to Ozona, TX in 100° heat with the windows down and made it into the hotel at midnight. We’re leaving this morning at 4:00 and the issue seems to have resolved itself.

I’m still taking it into the service center once I get back to Houston around noon.
I'm very sorry for that trouble. I was traveling with my son and was in Charlotte NC during the summer midday at 100°. I attempted to start the A/C while charging and we were getting ice cream. The A/C stopped working. We drove with the windows down and did various 2 finger and 'power off' reboots to no avail. A service call was no help.

What ended up working was using the phone app again to toggle A/C on and off. It was quite a relief to get it working I know!! There must have been some strange 'state' or code path that took place.

Just got mine back a few days ago. The Passenger side ac compressor failed. Was leaking refrigerant. $1,300 fix after tax. Sucks they even charged me a $200 diagnostics! Even worse is there is a driver side ac compressor so that is two points of possible ac failure. They are located behind the lower vents that open and close depending on the cars cooling needs. So dirt/grime build up or rocks can damage them.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Just got mine back a few days ago. The Passenger side ac compressor failed. Was leaking refrigerant. $1,300 fix after tax. Sucks they even charged me a $200 diagnostics! Even worse is there is a driver side ac compressor so that is two points of possible ac failure. They are located behind the lower vents that open and close depending on the cars cooling needs. So dirt/grime build up or rocks can damage them.
I was originally under the impression that the 6 and 7 seat Model X had two compressors, but I was corrected and told that they actually have two condensers, but not two compressors. I was also told that the second condenser is for the outside vents on the second row along with the third row vents. From an A/C standpoint, multiple condensers aren't necessarily additional points of failure, as the refrigerant would likely be going through a line in the same place if not going through the condenser, and the A/C would likely work so long as there is no refrigerant leak (which presumably isn't any more likely to occur in a condenser than any other section of line). That having been said, I'm not sure how a condenser would "fail" so it would be great to see what your invoice actually says here, especially since condensers would need to have airflow and would be susceptible to damage from road stuff (even in an ICE vehicles) while compressors wouldn't necessarily (in an ICE vehicle or an EV), but "failed" and "was damaged" should have different meanings.

I was originally under the impression that the 6 and 7 seat Model X had two compressors, but I was corrected and told that they actually have two condensers, but not two compressors. I was also told that the second condenser is for the outside vents on the second row along with the third row vents. From an A/C standpoint, multiple condensers aren't necessarily additional points of failure, as the refrigerant would likely be going through a line in the same place if not going through the condenser, and the A/C would likely work so long as there is no refrigerant leak (which presumably isn't any more likely to occur in a condenser than any other section of line). That having been said, I'm not sure how a condenser would "fail" so it would be great to see what your invoice actually says here, especially since condensers would need to have airflow and would be susceptible to damage from road stuff (even in an ICE vehicles) while compressors wouldn't necessarily (in an ICE vehicle or an EV), but "failed" and "was damaged" should have different meanings.

Interesting descriptions in the First Responders guide:

UHo6SdS.jpg

Reactions: scottf200