Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - A/C not blowing any air, "Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen this posted for Model Y and S, but not the Model 3. It's now 97 degrees in my area. I went to my 2020 Model 3 one morning after it was charging overnight in my garage and the AC won't blow any air at all. Not just cold air, any air. I did a soft reset 3 times. It makes a weird "blowing" noise for about 2 seconds after restarting but then nothing.

I then get the error on the climate screen: "Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault"

I made a service appointment but it's more than a month out! Then, I get a reply where they pushed my appointment back 3 more weeks!!!! That's almost 2 months away!! I rescheduled to another service center further away but it's still 3 weeks out!

I desperately need this fixed. It's a humid, hot south and this car is undriveable. I transport my kids in it too. I've been Googling around to see what I can do on my own. I'm trying resets, power downs. Have any other fixes worked for people other than "it just came back on"?

The software version it's on now is 2023.20.9. I've made zero changes to the car. Yesterday it worked fine.

EDIT: Got into Service Mode and see these errors. I don't want to do a software re-install, unless I need to. But you can see the Blower fault errors. Service is not responding to me.

Attachments

• IMG_2064 2.jpg
    IMG_2064 2.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
You might send a message saying the car is almost unusable due to the heat and tell them you're coming in now to get it fixed. They may try to wave you off, but I would ignore it and just show up. Once you're there and look someone in the eye with sweat running down you face they may relent. But be prepared to wait around all day for them to get to it. They may try to send you on your way without a loaner also. Again, I would be firm but insistent. It's entirely unreasonable to make someone wait 2 months in the summer to get their AC fixed.

There MIGHT be a 3rd party Tesla repair shop around if you get completely stiff-armed by the service center. Worth a look.

This is insane. They say no mobile service is available for A/C repairs.

My car is leased and under warranty. Can I even use a 3rd party Tesla repair shop? I am less than two months away from my lease return date to pick up a new Model 3. I even called sales to see if I could return it sooner but of course the new one I want isn't in inventory.

Based on the fault, the car could need a new blower motor. It's likely that it will take a few days to get parts after they finally get your car into the shop.

Considering the circumstances, I would see if you can return the lease and pick up your new car now instead of in two months - keep your eyes on the inventory page to see if a match pops up, then speak with your sales advisor.

I did some finagling and got an appointment about 45 minutes away for a week from now. Phew. Still gotta deal with the unbearable heat.

Seems like a parts issue. I'll update this thread with what the answer was in case anyone googles their way here.

What a pain in the ass.

Ok, so apparently the heat melted the wiring that controls the blowers. The car is still in the shop. We're on the 4th business day now. Thankfully, I only had to rent a car for one day and then they gave me a loaner.
Did you see this supposedly melted wiring? I think I'd call shenanigans on that explanation. Do you know how hot it has to be for wiring to melt? The seats would have melted before any wiring.

Reactions: P3dStealth
Did you see this supposedly melted wiring? I think I'd call shenanigans on that explanation. Do you know how hot it has to be for wiring to melt? The seats would have melted before any wiring.

Well I think wiring melted of high current or short in blower motor. Strange that VCLEFT didn't cut power in time.

@FullSizeRender You didn't smell any burned plastic or maybe some smoke at some moment?

Well I think wiring melted of high current or short in blower motor. Strange that VCLEFT didn't cut power in time.

@FullSizeRender You didn't smell any burned plastic or maybe some smoke at some moment?
I inferred from what FullSizeRender was told that they weren't telling him excess current melted the wiring. They said the car being in the hot weather was the cause.

Melted wiring could no way be caused by sitting in the sun, even in Death Valley. If the wiring was truly melted, they need to go deeper to find what caused it to melt.

My battery was totally dead, so I had mobile service come to replace it. They also did the rear harness recall.
The last time I drove the car I didn't have the air conditioning on, but it was warm today so when I turned it on it didn't work and gave me these messages:

Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault
Cabin climate control system requires service cabin heating/ cooling limited or unavailable

Could a problem like this cause my battery to be dead? The battery was 2 1/2 years old and I'm in Florida so I sort of expected it to be dead by now but it just gave me the replace battery warning and some systems may be shut down warnings before it died.

Or since I had the new warming harness installed as part of the recall, is there a wire that might not have been connected that might have caused the message?