Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little disheartened by the competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my MX which is Hardware 2.5 even when EAP isn’t active I often see the collision avoidance working and mostly when I’m at a stop at say a junction or roundabout, let’s say I floor it to get out behind a passing car but it’s still a little close I can feel the power is reduced momentarily until it’s clear then you have full power.

I know I'm not the only one to have disabled this function. I am confident in my ability to assess the gap and the last thing I want is for the car to decide to take the power off. I think the feature was aimed more at not hitting brick walls etc, rather than whilst "properly" driving.

It's the same with the "lane departure" warning which makes the steering wheel judder. With suburban/city driving a good percentage of driving requires you to breach the offside white line. Useful for motorway/dual carriageway - oh hang on, AP takes care of that :)

Tesla will prevent you from “ramming” someone if you put your foot down and there is an impending collision?

not sure about that. If you've got your boot on the accelerator then you are commanding that. You will definitely get visible and audible warning - enough to cause you to lift off if you hadn't realised there was a threat - if you aim at the car in front. I've not had it reduce power (that I have noticed) but in all the cases that I can remember I was in the process of overtaking, so I would have pulled out - perhaps after straight-line-course was impending collision, but before Tesla decided "Last possible moment to intervene" maybe?

Autonomous Emergency Braking (or whatever the correct term is) is supposed to only intervene when an accident is inevitable, to reduce the impact - brake sooner than you might, and if you do brake it may brake harder (it amy also release the brakes after the initial deceleration, then letting you do whatever you want to about it - so risk that you assume the car is going to stop and "do nothing" perhaps?. I think the idea is that "inevitable" means that AEB won't wrongly intervene / no false positives. That exists, in varying degrees of cleverness, on many cars.

If on AP then the car will slow down for traffic in front - and that will be at the earliest moment that it detects car in front (or car two-in-front) is slowing.

I don't know how that sensor-data translates into Action if you are not using AP, but basically if you override the controls that wins (but I assume that is not the case once an accident is inevitable). So, for example, if you get phantom braking on AP if you press accelerator the car will speed up.