Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A moment of solidarity for our CA brethren (HOV stickers)...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admit, I didn't get the big deal with the new HOV sticker requirement in CA. I'm out in the Bay Area for work this week for the first time in ~8 months, and HOLY *sugar* THEY ARE AWFUL.

I've seen dozens of gorgeous model s, 3, and x cars riding around with these absolutely hideous orange or green stickers attached to every facet of the bumpers like shitty bumper stickers and I totally, completely feel your pain. I didn't realize you had to attach so many, and that they were so large and so very "loud" in color.

I'm truly sorry, and I wish there was something I could do to help.

Add to the unfortunate design the fact that now they will expire after 2 years. Meaning, you get the chance to damage the paint when removing them. Thumbs up emoji.

Wow, that's even worse. They don't look like the nice vinyl decals that come off cleanly... they look like city parking stickers/etc, the kind that require goo-gone and a utility knife to remove :\

I admit, I didn't get the big deal with the new HOV sticker requirement in CA. I'm out in the Bay Area for work this week for the first time in ~8 months, and HOLY *sugar* THEY ARE AWFUL.

I've seen dozens of gorgeous model s, 3, and x cars riding around with these absolutely hideous orange or green stickers attached to every facet of the bumpers like shitty bumper stickers and I totally, completely feel your pain. I didn't realize you had to attach so many, and that they were so large and so very "loud" in color.

I'm truly sorry, and I wish there was something I could do to help.

It's too bad they are too dumb to issue a special tag with a special background color for EVs like other tags. I bet many would get the special front and rear tags than deface their cars.

Whoever came up with that hideous tag must despise cars.

Last edited:
Wow, that's even worse. They don't look like the nice vinyl decals that come off cleanly... they look like city parking stickers/etc, the kind that require goo-gone and a utility knife to remove :\

Fun fact, they have two layers to avoid people stealing them. So it is twice the excitement. There are a number of videos online showing how to remove them (hairdryer and goo-gone) but even if I do everything right, I am sure the outline is already there to stay after 4 years of sun exposure...

Is it possible to get PPF applied to the bumpers only, before sticking the stickers on?

Maryland has them too. But it is a single, square white sticker that goes on the hatch next to the rear license plate, not the bumper. Simultaneously better and worse.

I live in PA where we have no such thing AFAIK. But I am not near Philly or Pitt.

Yea I'm waiting to register for the stickers until next year to get a little more use out it. One of the reasons I bought my CPO outside of California. Get the stickers/PGE rebate

I just bought my CPO as well but in CA. Do I qualify for the pg&e rebate? If so, is it one or the other pg&e OR hov stickers? Thought I read somewhere but I’m overloaded with info at this point!

I just bought my CPO as well but in CA. Do I qualify for the pg&e rebate? If so, is it one or the other pg&e OR hov stickers? Thought I read somewhere but I’m overloaded with info at this point!

PG&E is separate from the HOV decals.
PG&E rebate is once per car. You can get the PG&E rebate if previous owners have not claimed it.

Many cities have other incentives for EV owners like free parking in metered spots
Incentives | GoElectricDrive - Accelerate the Good, Powered by EDTA

San Jose has it but you have to pay a $35 registration fee.
Clean Air Program - Park SJ

Reactions: MC408
Fun fact, they have two layers to avoid people stealing them. So it is twice the excitement. There are a number of videos online showing how to remove them (hairdryer and goo-gone) but even if I do everything right, I am sure the outline is already there to stay after 4 years of sun exposure...

Tip. On his suggestion my clear bra guy added the stickers with clear bra underneath so it's easy to remove (even on top of the original clear bra). I got the stickers a few weeks after I added the clear bra.

• Informative
Reactions: WATTZON and Vinc
My boss has a Tesla and has driven around Sacramento for years without stickers on his car and has never been pulled over. I think police in our area know that Tesla’s are HOV acceptable. He has them in his glove box, but hasn’t ever been messed with in the 3 years he’s had his car driving in the HOV everyday

My boss has a Tesla and has driven around Sacramento for years without stickers on his car and has never been pulled over. I think police in our area know that Tesla’s are HOV acceptable. He has them in his glove box, but hasn’t ever been messed with in the 3 years he’s had his car driving in the HOV everyday

I think it might depend on the area. I got a ticket the very first time I parked our old Fiat 500e in Santa Monica, no stickers because we had not received them yet. The ticket specifically noted "EV vehicle without HOV decals"...